The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: DIY Mouth Coils (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
So, has anyone made their own mouth coils? I just made some today by gluing tissue paper together, rolling, cutting then taping. I want to skip the step of gluing, so I started looking on the net for bulk tissue paper rolls. I found some, the rolls only seem to come in the color white. Would any of you know where to get bulk rolls in various colors?

Thanks. Jay
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I've made a LOT of mouth coils...the same way you did. Glued, with a glue stick along one edge, of different colored sheets of tissue paper to each other, end to end. Then, starting with one end, wrapped (rolled) them around a yard stick to make it tight. When finished, I used the glue stick again to glue the last edge down as I finished rolling them up. Slid out the yard stick and cut them to size. Works like a charm and takes me no time at all. I can do it in about 10 minutes and have lots of coils to use when finished.

Mark. Smile
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
I was thinking of that after I posted that a glue stick would be much better. My first run I used just standard elmers glue which crumpled up the tissue paper. It was still doable however the glue stick will make it far better. Thanks for the advise.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
No problem. Give it a try. I think you'll find it a LOT easier to do. Don't worry about using a big, wide, strip of glue, just run it along one edge and move on. It'll work just fine.

Good luck with it. Mark.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you can find a roll of suitable paper to make a mouth coil from you don't need any glue at all. just make the coil as described above, and add a little tape when you're done to keep it together.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
This is the closest I found... I think you can get it a bit cheaper elsewhere: http://www.nashvillewraps.com/tissue-pap......oll.html
So, another though on the same line... would anyone have a good idea on dying tissue paper, to make my own colored streamers? I don't know how you would go about this without the paper crumpling up.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I once gimmicked mouth coils to go into my nipple piercings, but the effect didn't come out quite as I expected...
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
U-Line has red rolls: http://www.uline.com/BL_1963/Tissue-Paper-Rolls

I doubt you will find multi-color rolls, but as an alternative, you might consider plastic tablecloths: http://www.amazon.com/Birthday-Balloons-......04DSDC1O

You can also get colorful birthday tablecloths in shorter lengths from Dollar Stores and Party Stores.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
The table cloth is a great idea never thought about using one. I made some and used a glue stick. They didn't turn out that great but with a little work they will be fine. Remember that they are not really exspensive so you can always buy some. I used the yard stick thing also and then went out to my local home depot and bought a round dowel. It works great.

Steven
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Thanks guys... I did the math, roughly... well, It all depends on which distributor you purchase from. Mouth Coils by Bazar de Magia are cheapest but they don't look like they come out the same way Cresey coils do. Anyway... with a bulk roll of 5200 feet and assuming you are making coils that are 25 feet long, and that it takes two inches per coil it comes out to about .35 USD. The same premade and in various colors from Cresey are can run between .87 and 1.10 USD each. Anyway... besides all that jazz... I just like to make stuff, feels more real to me.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've made them in the past from both tissue and newspaper (not for mouth). What I discovered was that after slicing the long tube into shorter sections, the splitting cut should actually be sort of a "Y" shape, as this allows the coil to fold open better. Then fold it open on itself and tape the two halves side by side. It's not an easy cut to make. I did it with a straight edge razor, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's really dangerous.

They can be made from just a single coil, like a smaller, thicker hat coil, but the version I desribed gives a double, interlocked coil like the Cresey coils.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Actually, I also cut them as Michael suggests. Dang, it's been a while since I made any and forgot that step!

Mark. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The greatest thing about being able to make your own is that you can always buy them but in that one situation where you must have one and you don't... well, you just DIY with what you've got on hand.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I manufactured mylar mouth coils for Jeff McBride years ago. Then I gave the rights to Zanadu magic. Just be careful that the mylar you use is lead free.
The first coils I made were billed as re-usable coils. Jeff used them as throw out coils and they could be restacked in five minutes.
Of course I wouldn't resue them as a mouth coil.
I used a film winder (left and right winder). I rolled out x-# of turns and then cut the roll. Then cut that in half with knife blade and taped.
I never liked the cut edge, so I let Zanadu cut the slit on his punch press table rigged with knife blade.
------------
The spools were 3" width.
---------------------
I also made thumb coils out of mylar (Rudy Coby age 11 used them as nose coils).
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have been thinking about doing this for a while, and also for use as a final load for some other effects in my act. I never thought of the tissue paper rolls because I cannot recall ever having seen such a thing. After reading about the tissue paper rolls here, has anyone thought to use crepe paper rolls cut to width? Those might work, especially if you smooth it out (afterall, crepe paper is tissue paper, just wrinkled to look like the fabric) and wind it up tightly. These would surely save some time on cutting from a larger roll, although I am not sure how economical they would be. I have used ironed strips of crepe paper for effects similar to the Chinese Laundry Ticket but never thought to use it to make a coil.

If you ever have a need for plain white coils of any sort, look for the rolls of adding machine tape - I have used those for hat coils in the past with great success, and, they are reusable. I also made a hat coil out of a cotton/linen blend fabric by sewing carefully cut strips end for end, then adding backing (starch) to it and running it over with a hot iron before winding it up tightly. That worked well for me too.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 00:47, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
I have been thinking about doing this for a while, and also for use as a final load for some other effects in my act. I never thought of the tissue paper rolls because I cannot recall ever having seen such a thing. After reading about the tissue paper rolls here, has anyone thought to use crepe paper rolls cut to width? Those might work, especially if you smooth it out (afterall, crepe paper is tissue paper, just wrinkled to look like the fabric) and wind it up tightly. These would surely save some time on cutting from a larger roll, although I am not sure how economical they would be. I have used ironed strips of crepe paper for effects similar to the Chinese Laundry Ticket but never thought to use it to make a coil.

If you ever have a need for plain white coils of any sort, look for the rolls of adding machine tape - I have used those fowidth, but too stiffr hat coils in the past with great success, and, they are reusable. I also made a hat coil out of a cotton/linen blend fabric by sewing carefully cut strips end for end, then adding backing (starch) to it and running it over with a hot iron before winding it up tightly. That worked well for me too.

Other papers can be problematic. Adding machine tape is the right length, but too stiff and prone to paper cuts on the lips. Remember the coil is coming from the mouth and does touch the lips. Crepe paper is too elastic and not enough length and and can hang up, it is also thicker and too spongy when rolled.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Would the crepe paper still be too elastic if you ironed out all the folds and wrinkles? I can not imagine why not but since I have never tried it, I could be wrong.

As for the adding machine tape, there are some types available that are more of a polymeric material than actual paper and have edges that are softer. I have never gotten paper cuts in using those myself.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 11:08, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Would the crepe paper still be too elastic if you ironed out all the folds and wrinkles? I can not imagine why not but since I have never tried it, I could be wrong.

As for the adding machine tape, there are some types available that are more of a polymeric material than actual paper and have edges that are softer. I have never gotten paper cuts in using those myself.

Ironing crepe paper is a long way to go, the idea, I believe is to make it better or on the fly.
I have seen newspaper comics used, as long as you put a shell over the final product so as not to get it wet.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 09:13, mrmetropolis wrote:
Thanks guys... I did the math, roughly... well, It all depends on which distributor you purchase from. Mouth Coils by Bazar de Magia are cheapest but they don't look like they come out the same way Cresey coils do. Anyway... with a bulk roll of 5200 feet and assuming you are making coils that are 25 feet long, and that it takes two inches per coil it comes out to about .35 USD. The same premade and in various colors from Cresey are can run between .87 and 1.10 USD each. Anyway... besides all that jazz... I just like to make stuff, feels more real to me.

If you're prepared to do all that work to save less than a dollar a time I think I should employ you to mow my lawns and wash my windows Smile
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 12:22, magicians wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 11:08, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:

Ironing crepe paper is a long way to go, the idea, I believe is to make it better or on the fly.
I have seen newspaper comics used, as long as you put a shell over the final product so as not to get it wet.

I like the idea of a newspaper comic coil - how organic! What type of cap would you suggest?