The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Help with a restoration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I have an older effect that I purchased used at my local magic shop. It is an older forgetful freddy type trick. This one is with Yogi Bear. Who here on the Café' does restoration of tricks? I don't even know if it can be restored but I don;t want to try and do it and mess up the whole trick. Thanks for anyones help.

Thank you

Steven True
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What are the problems that need work?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Hi Michael
I remembered after I posted that you were the one here that does beautiful restoration work. I am looking to have the picture redone. His body has so many scratches and some of the picture is peeling off his fingers. I am not sure if it will be worth restoring or if it is even possible. I am going to attempt posting some pictures of it for you but I have not loaded any pictures up here on the Café'.

Thanks

Steven True

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 3:19pm
Ok the pictures did not load so is it ok to email them to you?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
PM sent
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Michael

For some reason your email address you told me to use for the pictures has disappeared. Can I get it 1 more time? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steven
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Here is point of information on this effect. It was made by using the original printed coloring/picture books to avoid the copyright issues. They cut out the illustrations and adhered them to the backing.

I think they were made by Hamilton.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes, they were made by Hamilton, who suspended production at the "request" of Hanna-Barbera. The exact number is not know, but likely no more than15 or 20 of these were ever made. These are rare, and the few I've seen come to auction usually get a good price.

I offered Steven a few suggestions for restoration that he can most likely do himself.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If it is that rare and the quality is acceptable, you might leave it as-is and sell it to a collector.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
After talking with Michael I decided not to do anything to it. There are a lot of scratches on the body of the trick but I will still just leave it alone. You never know what it might be worth in 20 years. The one I have is number 8 so it was an early one. Thanks for everyones help.

Thank you

Steven
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Steven,
I will try to remember to dig out the Linking Ring that had the ad for this item in it. It is laying in the shop living room. Haines House of cards advertised it.

I will dig out Sunday and try to scan and post the ad.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Steven,
A Forgetful Yogi sold at the Graham Collection auction on Sept 12, 2009. It had a presale est of 75/150. It sold for $375.00 It was lot 89.
Hope this helps!
Veegates
http://potterauctions.com/LinkClick.aspx......abid=950
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would still scan the Yogi and clean it up in a picture editing program. You can scan it in sections and use a program like Scan, Stitch and Share by Serif to assemble the scans into one picture. Then take it to a printing shop and have printed.

You could even have it printed on self adhesive paper. The computer age has made things easier in so many ways.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm sure most collectors would want it as is and not restored.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am trying to get an attachment to the original ad from May 1962 Linkng Ring for Haines House of Cards. It tells the origin of the effect and how Hamilton came to build it for them. They sold for a whopping $15. Don't you wish you had about 6 of these wrapped up and put away?

I can't get it small enough to post but if people send me an email I will send along a copy of the original scan.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yes, if its intended as a collectible, do what you can to protect it from getting any more damaged but don't do any restoration work.

It's a given in the antique world that restoration work lowers the value. Even cleaning old furniture and such can damage value if done incorrectly.

I don't know how many times I've heard the story of someone who got ahold of an antique silver piece and polished it, thereby destroying much of its value...
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here you go, Richard...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Thank you Michael. I got tired of trying to cut the size and resolution down to make it fit.

Notice how they used existing printed coloring books and such for the artwork. I don't know if one could use this and get around copyright problems but I doubt it.

It seems Alan Cracknell first had this made. Then Ronald Haines went to Hamilton to have a quality piece made. I find it hard to believe that only 15 or 20 of these were made. It seems that between Crackel and Hamilton there would have been more than that made. I would suspect 50 by Hamilton might be more in line.

But in any event, it is a rarity.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
MrJay
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MrJay
Doing some research on forgetful freddie, the origionator, what year was the first freddie created how many versions are there and what other countries were involved in the forgetful freddie love affair...Thanks for all your hel
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 14:12, MrJay wrote:
Doing some research on forgetful freddie, the origionator, what year was the first freddie created how many versions are there and what other countries were involved in the forgetful freddie love affair...Thanks for all your hel

Milbourne Christopher invented the trick. It is written up in "Milbourne Christopher's Magic Book" (1977), but it was of course invented long before that.

Forgetful Frankie and Forgetful Yogi are a couple variations that come to mind. Air Head Rudy is a variant routine by Steve Taylor. There have been numerous knock-off versions over the years.
~michael baker
The Magic Company