The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Multiplying Bottles Redo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
After twelve years sitting in a closet, this set came out for a redo. Completely stripped the tubes and bottles-repainted each a different
color, except for the Passe bottles, and created an individual label for each. Took time, but worth the effort.
http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss308......sPix.jpg
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Very nice......
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Very Nice! About how much time did the entire project take? Did you use automotive paint or standard spray can stuff?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yup, definitely worth the effort! Great results!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Thankyou! I used Krylon enamel paints-after prime coating them. Finished with gloss sealer. The automotive paint/enamel bake process would have been a lot of money-and the end result would not have looked significantly that different. I took my time-waited for each coat of paint to "set" before spraying over another. About five working days. It can't be rushed, especially the printing of the labels, mounting of same, and the foil (GlueFoil) bottle necks around each bottle. Patience is not my natural gift, but I didn't want to screw it up either.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I have to ask what you used to strip the bottles initially?
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Beautiful!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Thanks. I used Goofoff to remove the labels, then acetone to strip away any paint residue. Otherwise you can take your bottles to a metal "stripper" or antique furniture refinisher, who can "dip" them, which
will strip everything down to the bare metal on the bottles. Since my original bottles had such a thin coating of paint, it was easier to just remove it with whatever I had on hand.
PS-almost forgot. I've acquired over one hundred original, full-size wine/liquer labels from France, Italy, Belgium, Holland, and the US, and will give them away FREE-just pay return postage.
Please PM me for details, but you're all welcome to a set of eight different original labels if you contact me.
Good Luck!
marcofrezza
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of marcofrezza
Quick question Wkitwizard, how has the Krylon and gloss been holding up? Have they chipped at all. I do quite a few shows so my stuff takes a bit of a beating sometimes.

Also did you paint them indoors or outdoors? I'm thinking when you paint outside the coats are subject to dust etc. Panting in my garage isn't my idea of great ventilation either.