The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: A few pictures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Most of what I've built isn't magic-related, just things for around the house. I usually don't take pictures, but as I've enjoyed looking at what others have posted, I decided to take a few during my last two projects.
Although not nearly as impressive as what I've seen others from this forum produce, I don't think they turned out too shabby considering the limited tools at my disposal. The only power tools I have are a circular saw, chop saw, drill, and a Dremel. And, I just got a jigsaw as an early birthday gift. (Yay!)

I took the head and base board from an old bed, added some scrap wood that I had around from previous projects, and it turned into a very nice planter.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2167149&id=42204638

And, here's a chest I finished today that I built out of my head as I went along. I used my new jigsaw for the "WV" on the front. It still needs a few coats of polyurethane, and the stain color didn't really come out in the pictures.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2206682&id=42204638

Update:
Even though I have the settings on "Everyone," I just realized it asked me to login to Facebook to see the pictures. If you're having trouble seeing them, please let me know!
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The flower bed is very, very cool! Strawberries?

The chest is also a very nice piece, especially dreaming it up in your head. Wow! Pocket hole screws, too! Kudos!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Nice work.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Looks nice. Just got a new Dremel last year, myself. Been doing a lot of mini routing with it. Never thought I would like working with one, but love it.

Gimpy
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Yes, those are strawberries. They didn't produce much, but I transplanted them a bit late in the season.

I was really excited about trying out one of those Kreg mini pocket-hole jigs, but it was a pain in the rear. The jig itself works fine, but the drill bit that came with it wouldn't cut once it got to the bit's shoulder (if you know what a pocket-hole bit looks like) and just spun against the wood. I had to drill out the bulk of the material with a regular bit, then finish each one with the Kreg bit, which meant I had to align, clamp, and drill everything twice. The Kreg folks were nice enough to send me another bit, but I haven't been able to try it yet.

The Dremel's pretty cool, but I underuse it. I mostly use it with the cutting disks to cut off old bolts, nails, and things. And, I've also got a mini planer attachment that works well.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Although I use it for other things too, I'd imagine 75% of my Dremel use is piloting holes for very small screws.

If you use the cut off wheels, try the type that has the twist locking mandrel and the reinforced wheels. These are well worth the money spent. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsA......id=EZ406

I also used these wheels to cut the card slots in the Zig Zag decks I made a few years ago by mounting the wheel in my regular drill press. I locked the height of the bit and fed the piece into it from the side like a mini table saw on edge. This allowed me to cut dead on accurate slots at precise heights.
~michael baker
The Magic Company