The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Super Duper Mistake ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
So, here is a little project I've had off to the side for a while. I was working on an old Abbott's Super Duper Balloon ... and the wires pulled out of the blower motor. Of course, I took that all apart, and it's just not something that was made to be repaired. Now, I'm trying to find an old furnace blower motor that will fit in the prop. Those of you who have seen this one before know exactly what I'm talking about.

Sure, I've been in touch with Greg at Abbott's, and this is obviously a piece they don't make anymore. I've had my eye on eBay, but no luck. I've checked with a few heating companies ... and we're talking over $200 for a similar motor. This is not an option for an old prop I haven't used in years.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Steve
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hey Steve,

I have never seen the Super Duper Balloon, but I am a HVAC tech by trade. The $200.00 price you received from the heating co. is a retail price. We carry a universal type furnace blower on our trucks that we pay about $60.00 for called a Rescue Motor (Yes, the mark-up is that high). I would call around to HVAC parts suppliers and see if you can get a Rescue Motor Part # 5460E. I buy mine from United Refrigeration Inc. I just checked my catalog, and there are 4 branches in IL. Belleville, Bensenville, Bridgeview and Danville. Hope this helps.

Nick
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I know a guy who has a Super Duper Balloon of the old type. Have tried to fix it, as the rotation device is jammed in some way. The motor works fine.

I think you should be looking for blowers that were used in paint shops; don't think a furnace blower would be that small. An industrial supply house is a possible search for this type of equipment.

Additionally, have you given thought to hair blowers? They look the same and work on the same principle.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 06:39, remote guy wrote:
Hey Steve,

I have never seen the Super Duper Balloon, but I am a HVAC tech by trade. The $200.00 price you received from the heating co. is a retail price. We carry a universal type furnace blower on our trucks that we pay about $60.00 for called a Rescue Motor (Yes, the mark-up is that high). I would call around to HVAC parts suppliers and see if you can get a Rescue Motor Part # 5460E. I buy mine from United Refrigeration Inc. I just checked my catalog, and there are 4 branches in IL. Belleville, Bensenville, Bridgeview and Danville. Hope this helps.

Nick

When you call the parts supplier, tell them that you are from "So and So HVAC Repair" or "I'm Joe the plumber" kind of line. This ensures you don't get the retail markup. Be aware, most suppliers have a very strict no return policy on electrical equipment.... and they will find a way to make pretty much anything they sell fit that description. I found this out the hard ($200) way.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Check with Grainger.com. They have the largest selection of blowers and blower motors in the world, I think...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I picked up a blower for a car at a yard sale. Runs on twelve volts. Haven't had time to play with it yet, but was thinking of trying it out with a balloon to see if it would work.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Let's try this again ... I've been going back and forth trying to get a pic on here.

This is just an odd, old trick that I've had since I was a kid. I'm not going to drop a ton of money into it.

Steve

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, that is the same blower on the one my friend has. Did you find any numbers on it anyplace that you could use to identify it? Some of the old stuff had patent numbers and such stamped on them.

I don't understand your comment; you want to fix it, but you do not want to spend any money on it. Then, may I suggest you try to open the housing and reconnect the wires? Most of that old stuff was made to be repaired. Were there is a will, there is usually a way.

Like cut around the housing and, after repair, band it back together. It is metal, so a thin strip of brass sold at hobby shops could be soldered back around it. It is called sweat soldering.

Or, why not have Abbott's repair it or get the current method they are using and convert it to that? Greg Bordner has always repaired my Abbott's products for me.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
880 Posts

Profile of lin
Camping air mattress blower??
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hey Steve,

Forget about the motor I mentioned above. What you have there in the picture is a Centrifugal Blower. I would try auto parts suppliers. It looks like a car heater, A/C blower. What is your voltage?

Nick
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
These work on electrical current, they plug into a standard wall socket.

Yes, it looks just like the blower in a car I owned 1989 Cutlass Supreme Oldsmobile, but of course that ran off the car battery.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
You might want to look at some bathroom exhaust fans. The picture sure does look like the car blower I picked up. If you want to run off of 12 volts, try a junk yard that sells used parts.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
ClintonMagus is right on--Grainger. Look in their catalog and find one with similar dimensions. Should be under $100.00.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Oh .. I've brought the motor into Grainger with no luck. They're made a little different now and won't fit in the harness inside the box. It's kind of complicated inside as the motor rotates back and forth in a special harness.

The blower is covered in black paint, no numbers are visible. Like I said .. I'd like to fix it, but I'm not going to drop $200 on a new motor. I'd spend under $50 .. that's about it.

Of course I've already taken the motor apart, but the wire came out of the coil section of the motor. It was taped or something on the inside .. no post, nothing that I could see it soldered to.

I've talked with Greg at Abbott's, and this was discontinued some time ago. He doesn't have any parts for it.

Steve
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think you should take the motor to a shop that deals with motors and see if you can get some advice on where the wire came off of. I can see if I can get my friend's and inspect it to advise you on where the wire may have come from.

They are still making a model of this at Abbott's that sells for $425.00. I would inquire on the getting their current motor and installing that. This is my opinion.

The suggestion to see some junk yards for cars is a good one. Take the motor around to your local auto junk yards and see if they can match. I would not hurt if you have the time. The benefit is you can use battery power over electrical.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24318 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Check and see if there is anyone in your area who rewinds/repairs old motors.

There are lots of people in our area who rewind armatures, rewind stators, the whole shooting match. It will be a bit cheaper than a new motor.

Here's the way to do it. Find the repair shop that has been in business the longest in your area. Take the motor in and tell them that you are a magician and are trying to restore a magic prop. He may do the work in exchange for a show.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Sometimes when motor wires are torn off from the coil, you can carefully peel back one winding of wire from the coil and re-solder the connection.

Greg has four of the Super Duper Balloons coming through this week. If you want to compare the versions, I can send you pics.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Steve, $50 large your willing to spend? Come on, with the type of cash you have invested in props. Send it to Nick the remote guy, and he'll fix it up and send it back and you'll have an Abbott's Super Balloon on steroids with a remote.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
We call it a squirrel cage motor here. They come in different sizes here. You can run them on small 12 volts batteries.
If you want, you can tell me the measurements and I will try and locate one for you. Since it's function is to "float" a balloon, I don't think it's that big a motor.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I always wanted one of those. A good friend of mine has an old one, and he still uses it. The trick is to get a quiet one with sufficient power. I imagine it might be difficult to find a motor with the rotating function, too.

Good luck! Let is know if you find a suitable motor or repair.

Regan
Mister Mystery