The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Crocheted Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I have recently decided to start making my own balls for cups and balls. I frequently want to change the colors/sizes based on my mood, or clothing choices, or what I want to use as loads.

I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me what type of yarn to use. I have been doing some trial and error on my own, and so far I have been very satisfied with my results. I just know that there is something better out there for me to use.

Please help!
Weird is part of the job.
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
My wife made some crocheted balls with some quite thin acrylic yarn. She usually knits or crochets quite strong, so a softer yarn would not be suitable. We have used Styrofoam and wood balls for making such balls. I highly recommend to paint them in the same colour as the yarn - they look better afterwards. For the Styrofoam balls, I used a waterproof felt pen.

I also made magnetic balls myself by simply wrapping iron wire around the painted balls in a criss cross manner. Then you crochet around the wrapped ball, and it will be attracted by any magnet.

Instead of using some dull colour, I would advice to use the brightest colour suitable and to use some yarn with metal yarn inside because it reflects the light much better.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I made myself this set years ago, and used very thin colored string. Look in good craft stores. I found many yarns to be too thick. Embroidery floss can also be used. It was not much thicker than kite string, but required a lot more crocheting because it takes longer to cover a ball. The small balls are fishing corks, the large are racquet balls.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Thanks, abrell. I was wondering about making magnetic balls. That seems like a pretty simple method.

Michael, thank you for the tip on different size balls. I didn't know about fishing corks. I was using some wooden beads that I had found at the craft store. That is a beautiful set you made.

Also, I was wondering what size crochet hook to use. Knowing that would definitely help set me on the right track.
Weird is part of the job.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hook size will depend on the string/yarn size. I don't know them by the numbers, and it has been a long time, but the one I used was pretty small, as it had to pull through some small holes.

At the time I made them, fishing corks were very common in any sporting goods store. Not so much now, but they are probably available online. They have a hole drilled through the center, which makes them easy enough to gimmick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of asgar
A nail worked well for me.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would like to suggest you purchase a Crocheting book, if you have not already done so. Crocheting does not use yarn, Knitting uses yarn. They are very different processes but, of course, use tools that look similar.

A visit to a store that specializes in Knitting and Crocheting can guide more than a magic site can. Crocheting is more difficult than Knitting is to learn.

Instead of doing it yourself, you might want to visit some old people homes or retirement centers and ask around. I am sure there may be some elderly experts that would love to make Crocheted covers for your balls. And, they would be very happy to have a little extra spending money. They could probably do it faster than most. They probably get tired of always making little booties. LOL