The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: REALLY CLEAN Metal to Metal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Thought about putting this in one of the coin forums, but for what it is, the Workshop seemed more logical.

I have had a Scotch and Soda for almost 30 years. It’s in great shape, and the seam is still invisible when it’s locked. Last week I accidently dropped the smaller coin on the floor and it separated.

Now I’m wondering what’s the best method for bonding the two faces back together again? If it matters, the two coins are a Kennedy Half and a Centavo.

Can it be as simple as super-glue?

Thanks in advance,

Don
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This topic has been covered many times on this thread and in the coin thread. There are varing opinions to solving this repair.

If you coin is a Johnson Coin set, return to them, as they have a life time guarantee on their coins. They will repair and return to you, only cost is postage.

Some use superglue, if you have the some face showing creating highs and lows, then use the jell kind that is gap filling.

Some say J.B. Weld 2 part glue. Try to clean the coins with some of the glue remover on the market, like Goo Gone or the solvent remover for contact cement. See your favorite Hardware Store for the products.

Have Fun!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I have used J.B. Weld for some home fixit projects. This stuff is excellent for metal to metal bonding.
Magic is a vanishing art.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I've used J.B. Weld for other things, but I'm thinking it's just too thick for this. I want it super clean. The metal is shiny smooth, and I think regular thin super glue is going to work. I figure I’ve got one shot to make it clean, so I’m studying how moisture and oxidation will affect the bond. It’s probably overkill, but I don’t want to have to do this again.

Thanks for the input, guys!

also on FaceBook
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
Super glue and duct tape. What we do without them.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
One of my first tri-fold production boxes was made of cardboard and duct tape. Man that was a long time ago...

To complete the initial question, I used regular superglue to hold the halfs together. Used the coin maybe a couple dozen times so far it looks like it's going to hold. Yay!

Thanks to all who offered their help!

also on FaceBook
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
I just dropped my sun and moon from my hopping half set and it's starting to come apart. I'm glad I found this thread.
DWRackley did you just put a dab on and clamp it down?
Making Birthdays Magical!
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-04-14 06:52, adamferrucci wrote:
I just dropped my sun and moon from my hopping half set and it's starting to come apart. I'm glad I found this thread.
DWRackley did you just put a dab on and clamp it down?

Drop it again until it comes totally apart. Do not try to pry the coins apart as this will bend the metal and it will never be able to be re-assembled. Just a suggestion.
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
I'd hate to drop it on purpose. Good advice though because I was looking at it thinking thinking about trying to separate them to fix it. I will definitely wait until it completely falls apart before trying to fix it. Thank You
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Actually used three dabs corresponding to the points of a triangle about halfway between the center and edge (not a whole drop, just a drip on the tip and dab it on).

To make sure I had it lined up on the first shot, I laid the "bottom" half face down (glue side up) in the bottom corner of a shallow metal box, using the two side walls as a "guide" to line up the top half.

I just used thumb pressure for about half a minute, then put it in the middle of a deck of cards and used a wooden screw type clamp to put just a little pressure on it. (I know too much pressure will warp wood joints, but I haven't worked a lot with metal. Figured it was better to go easy.)

It looks like it worked.

I also second the advice on not prying anything. I used to have a set of Chop Cups and Coins, until the metal plate started lifting on one of the coins. Thought I could slide a knife blade under it to "gently" lift it the rest of the way. Completely ruined it to an unrepairable state. Argh!

also on FaceBook
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
Thank you for explaining DWRackley. I will be trying exactly what you did when mine eventually falls completely apart.
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Score the sides to be glued.JB weld gets my vote.epoxy gives out in time.i use JB on the manifold of a model t ford and have no probs w/heat or recoming apart.