The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Large Genii Tube Needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Want to produce 12, 12"x18" international flags that are pre mounted on 20" dowel.

Thinking about Genii/Ghost tube, but having trouble finding one long enough with a 7" diameter or so to hold the dowels.

We never know until the last minute which country the guests will be from, but that is not a major problem. I can load the ones I know are there, and just take the rest from the stand holding the rest.

A flash would be nice, but not mandetory. As the venue is "Cowboy/Western" I ws thinking brass or copper would look nice.

Any suggestions who has, or can make one?

MuleePete
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I could make one but the price would probably make you faint. Metal is totally out of wack right now. So is solder. Can you imagine that rosin core solder is over $28 a pound?

Working the dowels into a phantom tube could be a problem. How about an Indian blanket motif?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Would a Square Circle work, or must this be totally "in hands"?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Such an item would have over $200 in just copper or brass. Labor would be added to that. Have you considered how heavy this would be? You might want handles on the tube so that it could easily be lifted and shown.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
I would have it made out of wood and covered in a metal formica / laminate. Much lighter, cheaper and easier to build. There are lots of choices regarding finish and you might be able to purchase just half a sheet of laminate.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Oh, another thought--I am talking about the square not round version of the effect.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
This is why I come to the Café, you guys are the best. Thank you all.

Craig - Great idea, and I WILL keep this in my index for constructing effects.

MR - I have considered costs and easy of use of such a large tube. The length of the tube has concerened me because it would be so obvious pulling a dowel of the same lenght from it.

Michael - I have made a SC 16" tall in wood for the square and tooled leather for the circle. I do not have to produce the flags in hand and cuting down the dowels may be the answer but they will be considerably shorter than I would like. As I welcome folks from each country, their flag is mounted in the top rail of the "corral" and left for the evening.

Richard - Your blanket idea truely intrigues me. To show each side of a Indian/saddle blanket and produce the bunch of flags would fit the western venue, it may answer very nicely the length of the dowels. I know I have seen effects that use a "mat" with a gimmck at the top and it is in the turning of the mat. I will PM you.

Thank you again for your help, all your suggestions has really got me thinking again.

MuleePete
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Look at this stuff... over foamed PVC..and you can get a REALLY Nice look.. that's lightweight... and nearly indestructible..

it would cost some money to make just one.. but it would be REALLY beautiful.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/sheetingfx.htm