The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magic room... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Hello all,

I think this is probably the most appropriate place to put this odd question. If not, I'm sure the moderator will move it. I just moved into a new house and my office will have a magic/illusion theme... nothing to overstated or hokey. For example, I have some nicely framed reproductions of old magic posters (i.e. Kellar "Levitation," Carter Beats the Devil, etc.) and I have purchased some concealed/invisible bookshelves to display some of my magic books. With these shelves, the books will appear as if they are levitating against the wall with no visible means of support. You get the idea.

I am interested in constructing something to be used as a simple performance piece. I am picturing being able to use a picture or just the frame that may be hanging on the wall. Or perhaps making use of some object or decorative piece that may be sitting on the large floor-standing bookshelf that will also be in the room. My question for all of you is... do any of you have any ideas or perhaps something simple that you've constructed that you'd be willing to share?

I'm just starting this and will be brainstorming in an attempt to come up with some ideas of my own... i.e. perhaps I could have a picture hanging on the wall that has a drape or scarf of some sort hanging over it so that only part of the picture is visible. Obviously this would beg the question "Why is that hanging on the picture like that?" My response could be that it is part of an illusion. Perhaps there is a card behind the drape which I could force then vanish from the pack, only to have it appear in the picture. I'm really just looking for an interesting and fun way to have the theme of the room really come to life by having some actual illusions built into the room's decor. An internet search for magic-themed rooms has surprisingly turned up nothing.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might be able to offer.

Brett
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
I have been working on this same idea!

Trey
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You must have missed my Magic Den articles in the early Wizards' Journals, numbers 1 to 6. I only stopped the feature because few magicians seemed interested, but the original articles still contain ideas you might wish to use.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I am not sure of the idea you are asking. Are you asking for decorations that look like they are doing something magical like floating books. Floating pens, etc.
Dennis Michael
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Check these out there great. I have a few peaces from them and every thing is top notch and there lovely people. If the style of frame dosnt match what you want give them a call.
http://www.fiveofheartsmagic.co.uk/index......ubmit=Go

Also some good optical illusions can be fun.
http://www.grand-illusions.com/

Have fun with your room and post up some photos when its done.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Brett, are you using those ideas as a conversational piece when someone enters your room/office or you also want to use them for performances?
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
880 Posts

Profile of lin
Built into the room? Drawer-sized drawer box, Pepper's Ghost in 2-way mirror on the wall, and one of these hologram light bulbs would be fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOh7PFg-XRI

cheers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'll second the flash frames from Five of Hearts/Colin Rose. I have the Jumbo and it is really well made and fun to watch, too.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You could build a table into your room that would do the Salt through table effect that Cyril did...

That still blows me away and I know how it's done!

or a permanent mirror that allows a silk/ ball through mirror...
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Thanks so far everyone, for all the great input! I have completed most of the work this weekend (at least with the book collection). I am pleased with the way these have turned out and have already had one extended family member take a peak as I was in progress and say "How are those books held to the wall like that?" My wife looked at me with a big smile. That was fun.

trey, keep me posted as to how things are going.

Spellbinder, I did miss those and am surprised that few were interested. Maybe it was the expense or time commitment, or perhaps their wives wouldn't give up the space!

Dennis, yes and no (sorry!) to your question. I have indeed thought about having something like the decorations you've mentioned (i.e. floating pen, etc.) but I'm also interested in making something of my own which could be used in an effect. Anything can be used in a magic effect if enough thought is given to it. I guess I'm looking more for something that is a curiousity arouser which could be used in an effect (i.e. an empty picture frame on the wall, etc.). Although, hopefully there will be enough mystery in the room regardless of whether I perform a small effect or not.

Yellowcustard, I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance although I'm not sure how to post them publicly so all here can see them. I'll figure that out I guess.

JamesTong, a conversation piece would be good because it arouses natural curiosity which is about the best performance opportunity a magician could ask for! I would love to be able to do something magical with it if someone asks about whatever the piece is, otherwise I'll let the mysterious nature of the room speak for itself.

lin, thanks for the link!

Michael Baker, I think the Flash Frame may have been what I was originally thinking of with the picture frame idea, without my even being aware of it. I do remember seeing it advertised in Magic or Genii a while back and thinking it would be really neat to have.

makeupguy, good ideas and thanks for your creative input!

Again, thanks to all for your input. It is much appreciated!

Brett
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Hello all,

Just thought I'd let you know that I posted pictures of my magic room on flickr.com and they are available to see. Of particular interest to you all will probably be the floating lamp I created. I'm proud of the way it turned out and I hope you enjoy it. The address to see the pictures is http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefritzpics/ Enjoy!
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I just tried this link and for whatever reason it isn't working. If I come up with different one I'll let you know, but I know if you join flickr (it's free and if you have a yahoo account, you just need to sign in to it) or are already a member you should be able to see them.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Try photobucket. I'm interested in seeing your "magic den". Thanks for the thread. We are all jealous, of course.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Hey guys (and gals). The link above works now. I just needed to adjust a setting. Enjoy!
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Tony,

I love it in there. My favorite room in the house, of course! It wasn't very expensive to do as I made most of the special stuff myself. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask and I'm happy to share.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
The floating lamp looks great. Good job. Can you post a link to the floating bookshelf product? Is that something that is readily available? Looks like a great office. Now I will be really jealous if you have a studio as well.

Tony
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Thanks for the lamp compliment. I'm especially happy with the way that one turned out. It looks so much cooler in person as the pics don't quite do it justice. The bookshelves can be purchased from Amazon. They are called Conceal bookshelves, I think. You can buy them in large or small sizes and they are made by Umbra. You can also find a tutorial online on how to make your own, but it involves ruining a book. There is also a second type of floating bookshelf under the Carter Beats the Devil poster. This is called a "Flybrary" and was also purchased from Amazon.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I really like your magic room. Now all you need is a La-Z-Boy and a reading lamp!!! Smile
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Thank you for the tour. That’s an awesome looking room. The lamp and table is a work of art. Congratulations!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Thank you for the kind words everyone! Especially from you tabman, as I know your skill at creating beatiful tables. I agree about the chair and lamp. I'm currently looking for one at some furniture stores around here that won't cost me an arm and a leg!