The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Instructions for creating your own elastic thread loops (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Due to the demand I got from an offer in another thread, I am posting these instructions on tying your own thread loops. (I will not get into any uses of thread loops, as this is not about trick exposure.)

Your source of elastic might be a commercially purchased thread (like Ben Harris's excellent ultra elastic thread, as an example. www.wowbound.com) You can also get the elastic from the source Michael Ammar suggested on his thread videos (www.ammarmagic.com.)

Or, if you also do the Kundalini rising, you can use that thread and strip out smaller threads.

For a great source of elastic thread, Kundalini thread, and reels, check out Craig Dickson's WizardCraft shop: http://www.wizardcraft.com/thread.htm

Tip: Buy the 1,000 foot spool of Kundalini type elastic and use it as your source for elastic for the rest of your life for only $10!

Okay, so you have the source for your thread. Snap off a piece 12 to 18" long (this is much longer than you need, but makes life easier when you are starting.) Attach some putty or tape to the ends, so you can keep track of the ends.

You should have an idea how big a loop you desire before you start, so you know what end product will be satisfactory.

Okay, now simply follow this picture, and if you have questions, please ask Smile

--- Guy
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Guy,
Clearly a lot of folks were interested in your technique and tips and I was one of them. Thanks for the explanation and clear photographs! I'd be just as interested in knowing how you drew the pics/knots so well digitally and what software you used. Great work!
Cordially,
tr
Smile
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Thanks for the post!
Bernard Sim
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
Very helpful post, thanks.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Thank you for the kind words.

I used an 18" length of 0.25" wide ribbon on a sheet of beige foam (craft foam)for illustration.

I colored one end of the ribbon (about 6" or so) with a silver sharpie, so it would stand out from the other end ever so slightly. It's most visible in step 5.

I then took macro (close-up) shots with my Canon Powershot A60 - and resized, clarified, edited, and captioned in Adobe Photoshop.

In total, it was about 15 minutes of work, but much easier than trying to assemble precise language steps for a wide variety of readers.

--- Guy
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Guy,
Very slick. Somehow I thought the images were all digitally drawn. Thanks for the info, and the insight on providing it for a wide variety of readers...5 pictures are worth 5000 words...in assorted languages.
tr
Smile
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
Thanks very much, your knoting method is excellent. Smile
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Guy, thanks for taking the time to share your skill and experience with us.

I appreciate it.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I nominate Guy Savoie to write and photo/illustrate
all magic trick instruction sheets !

Thanks for taking the time to share this and doing so with such clarity.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Again, thank you all for the kind words.

Jemy - I cannot take credit for the knot - it is a standard for many fishermen who need to tie line that normally slips. My grandfather used to call it a "self-binding knot," although I am sure it has a proper name I do not know.

In the interest of completeness, I should also mention that Craig Dickson also teaches this knot in his lecture for his "Kundalini" type rising card effect (which I prefer over the original namesake, btw.)

Since I'd been using it for a long time before I saw Craig's lecture, it is a standard knot, and it is not a key element in Craig's routine, I am comfortable sharing it.

--- Guy
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
Thanks very much for all this interesting information. I will feel less idiot tonight Smile
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Great post. Wizardcraft is a great resource. You will have to color the elastic thread Craig sells. A Sharpie works good, make sure you stretch the elastic and THEN color with the Sharpie. An easier way than tying the knot is to superglue the connection together.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Zap - If you split the elastic thin enough, color is a minimal problem. At least for my uses/performing conditions.

Also, when coloring thread/elastic, I prefer Pantone Tria markers. The color selection is much better.

Depending on my needs, I often turn to the following pantone colors (digging out the pens): 2726, 4525, and 470.

I've experimented with the superglue method, but I found the glued area distracting, and often more visible than a knot - I guess I'm just used to the "no extra cost, tie a simple knot" method.

Your mileage may vary. Smile

--- Guy
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Guy,
Thanks for the info. You really are giving away a lot of the real work. I've been splitting my elastic to about the same thickness as the Mesiga loops, which is thicker than the Harris Ultra elastic. I'll check into the Pantone markers, thanks for the numbers. Do you stretch them out and then color? With a Sharpie, if you color the unstretched elastic it tends to flake off when the elastic is stretched. I'm certainly not against the knot method, I just have trouble doing it. I guess I need to practice more (and get better eyesight).

Oh, one more thing. Have you guys seen the new Ties product advertised by Penguin Magic? It's called a system for making your own loops, including the elastic, a video, and "the equipment." All for $99.95! Here's the URL: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=551
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Zap -

I usually don't color loops unless I know I'm working in an extra bright area, and when I do, I do stretch them a little. I stretch them over the marker tip, and pull the thread over the tip of the marker - so it's not nearly fully extended, but stretched a little.

Actually, the Ties product was what prompted me to post this thread, offering a cheap method (although I've no idea of the contents and procedures of the Ties system, which could well be a better method.)

--- Guy
purpulhaze
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of purpulhaze
I'm curious to know if this is the type of loop that is used to levitate objects around your body. I've been trying to find material on this but not sure where to get it. I did get Jon Leclaire's Who's Afraid of Invisible Thread but it really wasn't what I was looking for. Can you please tell me the type of effect you get from these loops and if you know the type of effect I'm looking for.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Loops aren't really for levitating objects around your body. Check out Steve Fearson's Hook-up.
purpulhaze
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of purpulhaze
Quote:
On 2003-06-19 23:43, Zap wrote:
Loops aren't really for levitating objects around your body. Check out Steve Fearson's Hook-up.

I have Steve Fearson's Floating Cig and Area 51 but haven't really messed with it because I don't smoke and Area 51 would be done at night or dark situations. Could I possibly float a empty coke can with his set-up? I will definitely take another look at his videos.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
The most common other thing to float with the Fearson hookup is a candy like a Lifesaver. I think a Coke can is too heavy.
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Awsome! Thanks heaps, I've always had trouble with tying my threads, this has made it way simpler. Smile
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein