The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building or finding large tubes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Does anyone have a good method of building large tubes, maybe with an 18 inch diameter? what about finding tubes in this size?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Have you tried a plumbing store? Plastic tubing comes in many sizes.
Sent from my Typewriter
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
What do they need to be made out of? You can roll them out of sheet metal, get sonatubes and cover them, even laminate the out of thin wood like drum shells. There are many options but it depends on the material required, strength/rigidity and finish.
Ray Pierce
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
How about concrete forms made out of durable cardboard. Home Depot and Lowes sells tubing like that.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Sonatubes are the concrete forms you talked about. Depending what you want them for you could get them made at a sheet metal shop. They can bead or roll the edges for strength.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
You won't find 18: at the big box stores. try concrete supply stores
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks all,

I was thinking of building a large square circle to produce a large puppet.

so... maybe an 16 inch interior and an 18 inch exterior, this implies I'm going to have to build the tube itself from scratch, or get very lucky finding something...
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hmmm, actually the come in 1 inch size difference. Are they really heavy?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would look for small trash/garbage cans that are used for like wastebaskets. Find two similar sizes and cut the bottom out of one.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What about playground equipment crawl tubes?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 21:51, billappleton wrote:
Thanks all,

I was thinking of building a large square circle to produce a large puppet.

so... maybe an 16 inch interior and an 18 inch exterior, this implies I'm going to have to build the tube itself from scratch, or get very lucky finding something...

How about a Square - Square. Then you could build it all yourself.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The other advantage of the Square Square is that you can make it from Foamboard and do it all with a razor knife and duct tape. While you're at it, make it so that both boxes fold flat for travel and for displaying empty by leaving double space between the pieces when you tape them together. You can also easily decorate the Foamboard with interesting cut-out designs, like Jack-O-Lantern faces for Halloween, etc. One of my favorite designs is to have the cut-outs in BOTH square tubes, but off-set so when they are nested you always see the color side of the innermost tube, but when unnested, you apparently see into the black interiors of either tube. This adds to the deceptiveness of the original square circle effect.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Plus, a Square - Square will hold a larger load.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Put a slight taper on the load area to make it easier to load.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I would go with super thin sheet metal, and pop rivet the ends together. Then you could either attach fabric (felt, or vinyl) or paint it.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
If you are thinking making them out of sheet metal, ask a sheet metal worker or shop. They have the equiptment that might give you a nicer finished edges.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Also the sheet metal if you fold the edges or wire them, it will add strength.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Great point Jeff, I should have mentioned that. You really want to take this to a metal shop if your not familiar with working with metals.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
There are companies that custom wind cardboard tube for things like feed drums etc. They often have samples available and the actual cost of windings aren't too bad if you catch them at the right time in the process. I believe many companies can wind up to approx. 1 meter dia.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Tom, are you really at Loch Ness? I did some video enhancement of the last Gordon Holmes video and it ended up on CNN! Are you into cryptozoology? Just wondering...