The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Broken plexiglass, what to glue it with? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I have a plexiglass prop which a part or the plexiglass broke off from the main piece. I wondered what glue would be the best to try and fix it. I don't want to replace the whole piece, and I know a crack will be seen but can easily be disguised in this prop, or really would not be noticed at all because its a side piece, not the front piece of the prop.

I just want to fix it quickly and I don't want to go with some complicated heat process to rejoin the pieces, just glue that will hold.

Any help from those who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Steven
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do not use glue! Plexiglass uses a solvent similar in consistency to the new model solvent on the market, watery.

The parts are taped with masking tape and the solution applied with a small brush. The solutin will travel into the joint and seal the parts. Do not get near the tape as it will travel along the tape and leave a mark. Retape the sealed area after it dries and apply to the previously taped area.

In a town as big as Philadelphia you should have a Plexiglass company or a company that deal with plexiglass like a trade show display company. I got a 4 oz. bottle for only a few dollars. Check your telephone book Yellow Pages.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
So modeling cement won't work? You neglected to mention what this glue is called?
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Modeling cement won't work. That is a different type of plastic. You won't find this at a hardware or box store.
Contact a plexiglass supplier or fabricator and they will sell it to you. I just know it as plexiglass glue. Or acrylic cement.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
You can use PVC glue, the same stuff used by plumbers. I've used it before with plexi with great results.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Steven, Weld-On Plexiglass glue will work. They make different types of plastic glues and some are better for plexiglass than others. I sugggest going to a local trophey shop and talking to someone about it. They use it all the time and can tell you how to apply it. It is very thin, and in some cases the pieces to be glued need to be clamped in place before the glue is applied. I think this is called the capillary method because the glue will run into and fill the cracks. If it is a very tight fit I'm not sure if this method works or not, but trophey shop people should be able to help you.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The place did not give a name because the plexiglass place put it in a brown bottle and handed it to me. They get it in large quanities. They just called it solvent. If you would call a place in the telephone book you should be able to get a the quanity you need. If you do not, then I cannot help you.

It is a clear liquid and melts the parts together. If you use anything else it will usually not stay clear. If your prop is seen by the audience. This is the only solution. If the repair is not seen by spectators, and staying clear does not matter, then use epoxy or any of the above suggestions.

If you cannot replace this prop without spending a large sum again, I suggest you find the solvent I suggest. PVC glue is heavy thick goop and it is white color.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Steven,
Use the Weld-On Plexiglass glue as Regan suggested and ONLY that type of glue.
There are various thickness' of this glue.
Buy the "Thin" type.
Join the two pieces together and squeeze a small amount onto the joint. The glue will quickly seep inside instantly locking them together. You can barely even see the glue if it gets on the exposed surface as it is crystal clear.
This stuff is very FAST so be sure your pieces are in the correct position.
You can find it at any plex shop and some glass shops.
You will have lesser to bad results with any other type of glue.
Hope this helps
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks to Chance Wolf for the brand name.

I Googled it for you under the name Weld-On plexiglass glue.

Buy it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/IPS-Weld-on-%23-3-So......ViewItem

$9.50 plus $3.50 postage on ebay.

I found this instructions for you on how to glue Plexiglass. Solvent is for exact fitting joints. Here: http://www.ehow.com/how_4883454_glue-plexiglass.html
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
TAP Plastics is a great source. Maybe you have one of their shops nearby? They can cut you a new piece if you need one too.

dsalley13
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For years I glues plexiglas together with ACETONE. The capilarry action does it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of CanadianMagicguy
Haywire -
You don't want to glue plexiglas - you want to "weld" the pieces together. I use a clear chemical called Methylene Chloride. The fumes are quite toxic (somewhat like acetone), so you have to use it where there is plenty of fresh air, and try to avoid getting any on your skin. The chemical actually melts (hence welding)the two surfaces together to create a strong bond, thus eliminating any excess goo such as when you apply glue. I use a bottle applicator specially made for this with a very fine needle tip. You have to be careful that you inject it only into where the two pieces touch, otherwise any excess drips will mar where they land on the rest of the surface of the plexi. The Methylene Chloride evaporates very quickly as well, so you have to work fast. I get mine here in Canada at a place called "The Plastic Shop" in a 55 ml bottle for about $5.00 CDN, and it does several projects (of course depending on how big you project is!). The place also sells all sorts of off-cuts of various plexi and other plastics that I use to build some of my own magic props. The back of the bottle label says: "Ideal for solvent welding acrylic, ABS, and Styrene based plastics." The stuff really works good. Try it if you can find it in your area.
"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef"
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I use a syringe to administer the liquid to the joint. It allows the liquid to get into the exact spot you need it.