The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Spray Cans NOT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I DON'T LIKE SPRAY CANS. Anyone have experience with the electric spray guns? The small kind? I can get one for about 20 bucks... Only painting items about 12x12 - inches.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have used an airbrush for years. This is probably what you are referring to if you want to paint small items.

You can find them at any good hobby or craft store. They are not complicated, but get some instruction on their use, because it will save you a lot of time and effort.

I would suggest getting one that can use both a bottle and a cup. Two well-known, quality, readily-available brands are Badger and Paasche.

I have also used spray cans with excellent results, as long as I started out with a good, smooth base and I applied the paint in thin coats. My favorite type of spray paint is Krylon Fusion. They make "spray-gun" handles to use with spray cans that makes them much more convenient.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 14:11, ClintonMagus wrote:.. They make "spray-gun" handles to use with spray cans that makes them much more convenient.

They do make those and they are handy. Biggest problem I had with those is the front heavy balance of the can and handle. I ended up working out a technique for using spray cans holding them so I can use my thumb on the sprayer at the top of the can. Main thing is use the same technique you use for an air rig.

First a light "tack coat" and always start the spray off the item and move across to the other side off the item being painted b4 stopping the spray. After the tack coat, start slowly building it up and always clear the nozzle after using and it doesn't hurt to buy a few extra nozzles if you can find them.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I HAVE DECIDED TO HOLD OFF AND USE A ROLLER COATER. Smile
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I assume you mean something like a Wagner Power Painter. For small items, there can be a lot of clean-up. It is hard to imagine it would be any better than a spray can.

They make a lot of handy small size paint rollers these days.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pete, spray cans are the best way to go for a small one time project. Take one of the large boxes you get your magic mailed to you in and remove the flaps from the box. Then take it outside and hold it down with some rocks. Put your item inside on a coffee can and spray away. You will find you get a great finish with light coats. You will have to do the edges because the spray does not go around corners.

Use one of those spray can holders with a triggr. I got my best control with spray handle.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I know how to paint. I spent years in the sign painting business. I just don't like spray cans. I have edges to do and striping, etc. on a project and find that a soft brush or a roller will do the best job of coating what I want.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I must admit that I am okay(ish) with a brush but my attempts at spraying have been awful. I would probably improve it taking on board a lot of advice given here though...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Did the job in no time at all with roller.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What kind of paint did you use, Pete?
~michael baker
The Magic Company