The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Close up table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3356 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Picked up a piece of Birch wood at Lowes and had it cut for free. Cost $4. Using spray adhesive, covered this with a yoga mat cut to size. Topped off with black velvet type material, attached by pulling tight and stapling underneath. Attached 4 mini felt feet on bottom. Put a frame around 3 sides leaving my side open for lapping etc. Total cost $15 and 1 hr of time for a nice 18 x 24 table. Legs can easily be attaced as well for a small fee, available at Lowes too. Just though I'd share a low cost simple solution for a basic good looking close up table instead of just using a close up mat which would cost the same anyway.
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Sounds like a very worthwhile project - and in expensive too. Thank you.

Won't the missing piece of frame on the 4th side raise a red flag?

Dov
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3356 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Not sure really, I was gonna put one on my side but noticed on dvd's that even on the big tables used ,there is usually no frame on performers side. It makes sense really as you are sliding cards, coins cups etc on table etc.Watched a few videos to confirm and I saw the nice table on the L&L videos does not have it on performer side. Any thoughts anyone??
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Rizzo,

You could put a 4th piece and do like some folks do and that is to leave a space a couple of feet apart in the middle of the 4th piece. Just a thought. I have seen this on DVD's produced by L&L.

George
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
Rizzo,

Sounds like you and me are thinking alike. I'm currently building my second table, very similar to what you described.

What do the legs that you refer to look like? scissor shape? wooden?

thanks!

brandon
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3356 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Bandon, the legs would be like what Michael Ammar describes. Wood legs available at a Lowes/Home Depot type store. I guess a fairly standard leg with a small metal base to attach to table bottom, similiar to a spindle, commom wooden legs.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Yoga mat, I never thought of that. Great idea. How does it feel to work with? It certainly sounds ideal...

Bri
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3356 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
As the yoga mat is under the top layer of velvet, suede or any other preference you will use, it feels good to work with. You can either use 1 layer or I actually doubled mine up to give it a "slight" more padding as I found it easier when purse palming coins off table etc.