The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tommy Wonder Nest of Boxes. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
At last I received the Tommy Wonders Books and Videos. The Videos is really a very good addition to the books and in my opinion it would be a good idea to sell them even together. When I first read the book, there were some things that made sense and some didn't, but after seeing the videos, it cleared all up. Also when you have only the videos then its hard to recreate things(especially specially built props)because there is not said the measurements. I am really interested on the mechanical marvels. Especially the nest of boxes.
I, for starters, selected to make, the earliest method - The one with the giftbox. I thought it would be the easiest to make.
And came across one question. I understand all the mechanisms and all, but one thing I don't understand is whats the material, from what the boxes are made of and how you can attach the walls to each other.
Maybe someone whos, built it or is fimiliar with this trick can maybe discuss it in here or by PM:

Thanks,
Fred
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Fred,
I'm a fan of Mr. Wonder's, too. If you're talking about the blue boxes, I think they were just made of a cardboard material. It might be what we call "foamcore" but I think it was just cardboard. FYI, foamcore is a about 1/8 inch thick and is made of a thin styrofoam sandwhiched between two pieces of paper.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

I got some material that I think will be good for this, but the main problem is that what to use to attach walls to each-other. Well you cant use nails or screws so I thought about doing some kind of silk or other fabric hinges so it can collapse down.
Also because I'm making the whole trick, I got an idea using a collapsing table, like Wonder did on his DVD, and I was wondering(:D) how was the table triggered to collapse? Here is video so you can check: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNruDMuQspo
You can see it 2:00 and the trick, but I'm making different version.

-Fred
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The table was an electronic table made by Anverdi from Holland, who is no longer with us. He was a genius at electronics, his pieces sold for very high prices.

As for gluing the cardboard boxes to together, use white glue such as Elmer's or any good craft glue. The cover with contact paper which is really a plastic material. It is not hard at all, but a little forethought is needed while constructing.
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Quote:
On 2009-08-05 20:35, wmhegbli wrote:
The table was an electronic table made by Anverdi from Holland...

Sorry, that's wrong, here are no electronics. Please look again in the books or the videos.
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

I also thought that cant be electronic. There´s no room. You can even see it on the video. Remote guy gave me a idea of having someone pulling a thread of some sort off-stage to trigger it, but I really want to do it without having someone off-stage working for me. I would really appreciate it, if someone can help me figure it out.

-Fred
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Here's how I would solve it: after putting down the mallet, the magician walks away from the table. The action of putting down the mallet gives him a way to pull a thread on the back of the table that simply releases a pin, and the rest is done by gravity.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
The Nest of Boxes Version 1 that were on the video.... I owned them. They are wood.... I will post some images to show. The small box was very heavy and the outter blue box was not foam core. It was thin wood.

Merritt
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
The Nest of Boxes Version 1 that were on the video.... I owned them. They are wood.... I will post some images to show. The small box was very heavy and the outter blue box was not foam core. It was thin wood. The colapsable fake was cardboard

Merritt
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The comment about form core is not what Tommy Wonder used, it is a suggestion to use this as it will make a really nice box that is sturdy and last a long time. I have made boxes with this stuff and it is great to make a box with.

Go ahead and make it of wood if you want, the original post did not mention that he wanted to make an exact copy of this prop.

Just buy the books and tapes and go for it.