The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Unroughing fluid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I've heard it suggested that for an Invisible Deck it's easier to use if one masks off the middle 1" of each card. This unroughed band across each card facilitates the separation of the required cards.

Now, if one already has a common-or-garden fully roughed ID, what's the best way (if any) to "unrough" such a band? Silicon polish? Or what?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Dave

(Not sure whether this should be on the Workshop board or on the Cards board.)
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out the sticky post in the Secret Sessions (top topic). There is a lot of discussion related to roughing a card.
Dennis Michael
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Thanks Den. Yes, I've followed that thread with great enthusiasm since its inception.

Simonize Car Polish is suggested there for polishing cards. And I have, in fact, used clear shoe polish years ago for polishing the plastic faces of my Rainbow Cascade, because initially I couldn't do an Elmsley Count without very slippery cards.

But I want to know not how to rough a card, not how to polish a card, but how to neutralise the roughing fluid effect on a card. I had thought of trying Simonize or clear shoe polish, but I just thought I'd ask first before trashing my Invisible Deck.

Apologies if that sounds like I'm complaining about reply, Den. I'm not, I'm simply clarifying what it is that I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Dave
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
It might just be easier to make a new deck than worry about how to 'improve' an old one.

I had my method all written down and then realized I was tipping a secret. So I will PM you instead. Let me know how it works.

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2228 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Quote:
On 2003-05-28 10:09, RayBanks wrote:
It might just be easier to make a new deck than worry about how to 'improve' an old one.

I had my method all written down and then realized I was tipping a secret. So I will PM you instead. Let me know how it works.

Smile

Ray.
I know your post was not directed to me but I would be interested in your thoughts on this. If you would rather not, I understand completely.
Magically,
Your Friend,
Mike - shomemagic -
You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@jobe.net
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Maybe method is not a good choice of words. It's more of an apparatus that makes the job easier.

I'll send you the details by email.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Dave,

Sometimes, you can apply masking tape to the roughened surface and when you peel it off, the roughing comes right off with it.

Have you ever ripped the hairs from your arm while removing a Band-Aid? Same idea.

It doesn't always work, but that's the way I was able to fix some card surfaces I roughened by mistake (they were double-faced "Testorized" Bicycles).
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Thanks Craig, that's a neat idea. I'll try it.

Dave