The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Solder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Ok. So I decided that I wanted to make my small blob of silver out of solder. I was planning on just making it by melting it by dripping it onto the floor and kind of stirring it around a little to make it so that it looks like a little chunk, then when it dries, melting the flat side a little bit. Another thing I wanted to make was a copper coin with solder on one side of it, to look like you melt down a silver coin a little bit to reveal the copper inside. What I wanted to ask is, on the package for the solder, it says it won't adhere to any surface that has not been "fluxed". Should I buy "flux" even if I don't want it to stick and will it stick together and to a coin or will it just stick together and dry together (the solder)
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
You won't need flux for your small blob. If you take some sand-paper or emery-cloth and clean and rough-up your coin it should take the solder without flux. Just give it a try. Your not going to hurt anything. If the solder doesn't stick to the coin, sand it again and use some flux.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
You say you want to melt the solder and let it drip on the floor where you plan on stirring it around a bit. You will not be able to stir the solder, as soon as it hits the floor it will solidify. You do not need flux if you just want to make a blob on the floor.

Nick