The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Base question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicJeremy
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of MagicJeremy
If the base looks big to the builder, cause we know whats going on, will it look big to the audince
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3539 Posts

Profile of gaddy
It's all in the presentation and the quality of your apparatus.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Look at some professionally made bases. You still know whats going on, do they look big? The good ones don't.

I just posted a post on this illusion a few weeks back... Does it look like there could be 2 girls ANYWHERE there? Combination of presentation and a quality prop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku_VnLIjsfE (man, I really love that illusion!)

Give your audience some credit, even though they don't know what a "base" is by name, they understand the concept.

Poof, the girl is gone! Where could she go? If your "box" is sitting atop a table that remotely looks like a girl could be inside, regardless of if she is there or not, that's where they will think she is. Sure, they will still applaud politely. But they should not "suspect, let alone detect" the method. (quote from Vernon)

Study good props, and learn why they are good. Or pay someone to build it - who already has studied why they are good.

Scott
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Jeremy,

I think the biggest point people make when building bases is that you have to break up the load area. It can't just be in the base. Read Rand Woodbury's books about this idea. If you can add a few inches below and above (part of the prop that sits on the base) you can definitely make the base look much smaller.

The Chalet & Rich Hill crystal casket props are a great example of this.

Also, the Wakeling concept is great, too. Check out the Magic of Alan Wakeling book for more info.

Sincerely,
David
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2009-04-20 15:17, sb wrote:

I just posted a post on this illusion a few weeks back... Does it look like there could be 2 girls ANYWHERE there? Combination of presentation and a quality prop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku_VnLIjsfE (man, I really love that illusion!)

Scott

Great illusion.... but I bet most of you missed thr cleverest bit.... how did he pull the tablecloth out!!!!???
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Simple. Without getting into exposure, watch closely when it is pulled out.
-Matt
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
As the builder, you also must realize that these things look huge if you have them sitting in your garage or workshop. Follow the design advice given and have faith that the design will enhance the illusion.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Not only does he pull the cloth out...

the box starts out on the floor before the trick and is put onto the table by stage hands in view of the audience.....

I really like when an illusion uses a combination of things to accomplish the impossible.

scott
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
Does anybody know the name of the illusion in that Copperfield clip?

That base is incredible!

Rich
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
Has anyone ever used the infinity mirror principle in a base design?