The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Steel shim stock (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I need some information about steel shim stock.

This site shows several types: stainless, hard coil, full hard, blue tempered.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex......87&Nty=0

I need to know which of these will best attract to a magnet.

The shim stock will be embedded between layers of fabric and must stick to the side of a wooden panel that has magnets embedded into its surface.

Thanks for any info!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Why not ask the folks on the web site. Most places have all of the physical characteristics.

Not all stainless is attracted to magnets. Induction cooktops don't work with all types of stainless cookwear.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
OK, avoid stainless and go with the hard coil. It should be available down to about .001 but you need at least .002 to get any attraction at all. And use some strong maggies.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks guys!! I knew some stainless will work with a magnet and some won't, but I don't know enough about metal to know all these details. I wasn't sure if the company had info on the various metals' ferrous nature. They are usually not selling this stuff for such purposes.

The thinner the better. Ideally, it should have some flex to it, so it looks like it is being "peeled" off the surface it will be stuck to.

I have and use some serious N-48 neo magnets. No problem there.

It must stick well though, as it will be on a vertical surface in motion, and must stay in place until physically pulled away.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Michael, looks like you have found your answer. Here is place where I have ordered from. Their website is a little difficult to navigate, (or at least it used to be) but they offer a large selection and their service is good.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Regan!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Another source is http://www.smallparts.com/
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Marty. I have several sources now. I need 12" wide x minimum 12" length in the minimum required purchse, and now at the best possible price. (.003 or .004 should do the trick). I have .007 in a smaller piece on hand and it's just a hair thick than ideal.

This is going on a prop I am building for a friend, so the least amount at the best price will help us both.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Michael,

See if you have a sheet metal place local. Often they will cut to size and not charge for it. Mine locally does this for me. Of course, I am buying 4' X 8' sheets. They may not have the stock you are looking for, but it is worth a try. If they do have it, you can take your magnet down there and test everything out.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Paulyp,

Thanks for the idea.
~michael baker
The Magic Company