The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Trying to make a double change box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Hi there,

I have a routine, where I would like to change a card twice, in a box. I know and have some of the clasics, but one changed boxes, for cards, but I am trying to improve them.

at this moment, I have no idea how can I make or any method to get this change twice.

I need a beainstorming jeje, any idea??

thnks, you cam pm
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Maybe double ended or a flip over drawer box?? I'm sure you'll come up with something.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Tabman is describing what is fully detailed in "The Berg Book". It is called, "Berg's Improved Card Drawer".

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There's a great way to change a card twice in a regular card box. One possible effect: You remove the deck from the card box and set the empty box aside on the table. A card is selected, then vanished. The magician opens the card box and shows a card inside. The card is slid out, but before it can be removed, the spectator is already saying it is not his card. The magician looks disturbed and drops the card back inside the card box, asking the spectator the name of his card. When the spectator says the name of the card, the magician shows him the back of the card in the box and asks him if he is sure that is not his card. He lets the spectator remove the card and turn it over and discover that it has changed into his card. Without giving away any methods in this part of the forum, is that what you had in mind?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Not really Spellbinder.

I will try to explain what I have in mind. I am talking about a box, not a regular card box or a drawing box:

I have a misterious box, open and inside tarod cards.

I make some readings, and I put in the box one card, for example the lovers one.

I continuous and then, open the box and now, the lovers card has transformed into the devil card ( so far, easy with the regular change box card)

again, I put another card, the moon, and in a minute when I open the box, here we have the devil card.

I hope now is clear what I would like to do. I know several methods using sleight of hand, doble lifts... but I am interested in doing this way, with the box. it must be a way to do the change twice... I hope so..

I keep thinking about it

thanks for reading
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
You will need a custom card change-box with two flaps. One flap is aluminum (or plastic), the other flap is steel Arrangement, from the bottom of the box upward, is 1) Devil card, 2) aluminum flap, 3) steel flap, 4) Devil card.

On your left hand you are wearing a PK ring. when you open the box the first time you invert it onto your left palm and then turn your left and palm down, gripping the box with you fingers as you immediately open the box. The PK ring will attract the steel flap and hold it to one side of the box, while gravity will allow the other flap (and Devil card) to fall into the other box half. Grip the current "bottom" half with your right hand and lever the "top" half toward the left until the box is laid open like a book. It will appear to be empty.

Lovers card is dropped into "empty" box, box is closed onto the left palm, allowing the aluminum flap to change sides, and box is place on table. When you open the box the Devil card will show.

Devil card is removed, Moon card is inserted, and the box is closed by levering the left half over onto the right half, allowing the entire contents (aluminum flap, the Lovers card, the Moon card, steel flap and the 2nd Devil card) to fall into the right-hand half.

Now when the box is opened the 2nd Devil card will appear to be the only thing in the box.

TW
(PS: There is another way to build the box that does not require the use of a PK ring, but that's one I'm not ready to tip just yet.)
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you are wanting to gaff an existing box that is one thing, if you want one made from the ground up, I can think of at least a few ways to do this, drawer box, or flap box, either way.

Some methods account for the box being non-directional (top or bottom look the same), and other ways that take into account a box with an obvious top and bottom.

Some involve the same technology that makes a PK ring, a PK ring, but self-contained in the box. Others involve flaps with individual releases.

This could also be solved with a single flap and a DF card.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Thanks thomas

I though something like that.no that way, but similar. yours is best. I wouldnt like to use pk ring.the reason is because the box I want to construct has to be thick enough to have inside the major arcana ( 20-21 cards), and looks like an antique box ( but normal) no like the usual change card box, that, as you say, you can open it in a way or another.

my ideas went the way that flaps have to fall from the top of the box

anyway, I really apreciate your idea, maybe not for this effect but sure for some others.
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Michael,

I was thinking of make a box by myself, not many problems in do that, so I can gaff it the way I want.

as you say and I say in the message to thomas, double flaps wiht indicidual release is what I am looking for, but I don't know how to get it. I can not make an idea how put it in work, if you have a solution.. it would be great..
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Michel,
another thing

what is a DF card? what is DF? sorry my english... Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Karvis,

Sent a PM on DF card.

For a box as you describe, the first flap to fall can be aluminum, as Thomas already specified.

There are two ways I will describe for the second flap.

Method #1:

From now on, I will use the word "gimmick" to mean that which makes a PK ring work... Ok?

The other flap should be made of 1/16" plastic, or wood (light weight). In the center of this you will need to embed a 1/4" diameter x 1/16" thick "gimmick". Cover both sides with black velvet paper, or just plain paper, and paint it.

In the lid of the box is another "gimmick" that is built into a sliding piece, that can be controlled from the outside, either by a knob, ornamentation, part of a panel, or the entire top panel.

What this allows you to do is have the gimmick line up with the other gimmick, or slide to the side, just enough to offset the gimmicks. The flap will then fall.

Method #2:

The lid of the box is essentially a shallow frame, being that it has four sides surrounding a central piece (the actual top).

This frame can be made to operate like a locking flap slate. No "gimmicks" as in Method #1. The flap can be aluminum, steel, or anything else. It is held in place the same way as with the locking slates, and once opened, the flap will drop.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Ok, I got your PM, what a silly man I am hehe, DF card, ok.

I like the idea about the secong flap, perfect

but, for the first one, if I have understood well, there is no attached for it, so I canot start with a deck ( or major arcana cards) inside, and open it, cause the first flap just fall in the moment I close de lid, .

if is possible, I would like to star with the blox closed. do you suggest any mecanismo for the fist flap? another "gimmick" in different location? or maybe not cause 2 "gimmiicks" very near may have problems..

I don't want to seem imcomformist.. just perfeccionist hehe.

thanks a lot again for your ideas.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 18:55, karvis wrote:
Ok, I got your PM, what a silly man I am hehe, DF card, ok.

I like the idea about the secong flap, perfect

but, for the first one, if I have understood well, there is no attached for it, so I canot start with a deck ( or major arcana cards) inside, and open it, cause the first flap just fall in the moment I close de lid, .

if is possible, I would like to star with the blox closed. do you suggest any mecanismo for the fist flap? another "gimmick" in different location? or maybe not cause 2 "gimmiicks" very near may have problems..

I don't want to seem imcomformist.. just perfeccionist hehe.

thanks a lot again for your ideas.

Michael's 1st suggestion is similar to the method I've developed for my own project, but with an automated sequence that releases no flaps the first time you open it, then releases the 1st flap the second time you open it, and finally releases the 2nd flap the third time you open it. All automatic, with an easy (but secret) reset.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Great thomas,

this must be the way you say you cannot tell by now..

it is really what I am looking for. have you finished and tried it yet? great man

I will keep going on it to trying to have a solution. thanks
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You can also combine both methods I mentioned. You control the flaps each differently, so each method doesn't affect the other.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Thanks for the ideas.

I am in the way of make it "real". when I finish it, I will post some pics