The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Mini baseball stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Has anybody seen a table-top display stand shaped like it could hold a mini globe or a half sized baseball? Hopefully it would be brass colored, have a nice base, and have several thin adjustable fingers. Something high-end looking.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I haven't seen anything exactly like that, but my local Hobby Lobby has fifty-thousand (figuratively speaking) very magical-looking stands and bases of all shapes and sizes. Every time I go into the store I take a few photos and imagine what I could do with them.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes, Hobby Lobby has lots of those decorative stone spheres that generally have a stand. You might also look for crystal ball stands via the internet.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Michael! I was thinking of you when I opened this thread. I almost called you out by name in fact.

I may just have to settle on a resting stand. This search has gone on for quite a while now. But what I really want is a suspension stand. I want the object to be held up only by the adjustable fingers, so that light can reflect thru it from all angles. (PM me if you want to know exactly what the object is; I can't say publicly.)
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Found it. The magic phrase is 'caliper stand'. They only come with 2 fingers, but I think I can make it work.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Now, I understand what you wanted. I've not heard of a caliper stand, but glad to hear you found something!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This is a caliper stand. That wasn't what I thought you were looking for.

This (upside down) is more like what I envisioned:

Or this:

Or a high-end dolphin version:

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
The first pic is what I was searching for, although I was hoping to find one with 3 or 4 fingers. The object I'm holding is actually squarish and muli-faceted. But I found calper stands with rubber holding tips, so I'm guessing the extra friction will do the trick. The dolphins are cool, but they would detract from the object.

The plexi stand would have been a close second. Where did you find it?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
It seems to me it would be pretty easy to buy two (or even three) caliper stands and combine the arc and screw clamps from the extra one(s) to make what you're looking for.

TW

Click here to view attached image.
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld