The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Coin bender (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
Anyone made themselves a good coin bender? and maybe can give me some tips?
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I cut a V shaped lower jaw out of one inch O1 steel and used a one inch portion 3/8 O1 rod for the top and welded them on a pair of Visegrips. Works great and is adjustable.

You probably could use mild steel and get the same results. You could also just use one piece of rod on top welded center and two pieces on the lower jaw, one welded on either side of the existing jaw.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I would use a vise and a lightweight hammer. Place coin in vise slightly less than half the coin and close down tightly. Bend the coin to the top of the vise (roughly 90 degrees) by hammering at the top of the coin. Loosen the vise, lift coin up a bit more, close down vise tightly, now hammer and gently tap the coin downwards to a tighter angle. Eventually the coin will be less than 90 degrees, but also won't close any further as the top of the vise will impede the movement. Take the mostly bent coin from the vise, put the whole thing back in and close it down all the way. Now you have a coin that has been completely folded in half.

Is this the effect you're looking for?

Click here to view attached image.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

By the way, I took that pic after making it. Took me more time to upload and post than it did to make it.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Thanks thegreatnippulini but he needs a gentle bend, as if he bent the coin between his thumb and the index & middle finger, not folded. Plus he needs to be able to take the bender with where ever he goes.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Ah.. makes sense now. So I wasted a quarter for nothing, eh?
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
I would bend coins in study hall. There were the seats with the fold up desks. You could put the desk in the vertical position. Stick the coin down in the hinge area. With half of it stick up. And slowly push the desk down. And you have a nicely bent coin. I think nickels did the best from what I remember. I most likely still have some around here somewhere. Just an idea...

Trey
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
Sorry, yep when I mean coin bender I am thinking of a utility a bit like the "superman" or similar which can be carried around etc. and used to bend signed coins
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Brett,

My idea wasn't much help then either, sorry. You might try modifying a hinge of some kind to bend the coin and maybe could fit in a leather wallet to carry in your pocket.

Tom
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I have read about using two nail clippers working well, I have not tried it though.
-Matt
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
Oh sorry about that!

Trey
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Two nail clippers? Hmmmmmm... will do some testing now.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
I always thought something made with a screw jack but sized to fit in a sharpie would be perfect.
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
I find the answer Smile
2 pliers and cardboard to protect the coin

I hope this idea will help you
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
John sheets made a very good one(Quantun Bender), but I don't think he's giving it away. it's the best I've seen
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Why do you need this? Why not pre-bend some coins and then handle it so that it looks like it is being bent in front of people's eyes? Most folks won't need the proof. If handled properly they will be so amazed that it is happening that they will just grab for the coin, and try to bend it back.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.