The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: What type of glue should I use to glue a wire into a sponge ball? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
As we are all aware that there are many types of glue and each has its purpose and pros and cons. I am wondering which glue I should use to glue and stick a thick wire into a sponge ball without damaging or dissolving the sponge ball? Thought I should ask here first before ignorantly destroying a bunch of sponge balls.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
Joseph DR
View Profile
New user
Texas
8 Posts

Profile of Joseph DR
Hi, You can use Contact Cement. It's safe for use on foam. Puppeteers use it all the time. Here's a link:

http://puppetsandstuff.com/community/ind......2.0.html

Hope this helps,
Joseph :O)
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Joseph. I'll try out the contact cement as well as the water based ones and see how it goes.
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 09:31, JamesTong wrote:
Thanks, Joseph. I'll try out the contact cement as well as the water based ones and see how it goes.

If you are looking for a solid connection, I'd suggest you consider making the end of the wire into a coil. Wrap it around a 1/4 inch rod or tube. Draw the coil out and after applying a little epoxy adheasive, 'screw' the coil into the ball. The connection will be permanent and stable in all directions (ie, if you need to rotate the ball, twisting the wire will rotate the ball/sphere)

Hope this helps.
Doug
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Doug for that excellent tip. Really appreciate it. I really needed that to make a solid connection.
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
I would suggest PVA or copydex
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk