The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Homemade Lota (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
I spend pretty much every weekend doing some kind of building. Sometimes magic, sometimes other things. Lately it has been magic.

If you look at things that are around you, you start to think of ways to turn them into a magic prop. I wanted to share one one of these things. I was at the flea market and I came across this vase. I knew it would work perfectly for a lota vase. Later that afternoon, I was done. This is the finished project.

I have a front view and a view from above. The tall flare at the top of the vase prevents the gimmick part from showing unless you are looking directly down into it. I hope you guys and gals enjoy.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/paulyp/lotavase1.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/paulyp/Lotavase.jpg
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
This looks really nice. The design makes it look sort of mysterious. Better than the standard metal lota bowl. Nice find. I had a similar find a number of years ago. It was a black metal vase with a very long narrow stem. It was perfect for the rope/vase suspension - like the ones you see in the beginner's magic sets.
Don't get even... Get odd!
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
I also found a brass vase exactly like what you are talking about. I use it for the same thing. I really enjoy putting together props, even if it is just something as simply as the rope/vase suspension. You know that yours is unique.

The story for the vase is that it is a Chinese tea urn. So long as tea leaves are kept in it, you have a neverending supply of tea. I ran of tea leaves, but at least I still have water. I plan on using this in a medicine show magic act. I am considering using the brass vase as well. It looks Indian and should go nicely with patter about the Indian Rope trick and how I never could get the rope to stay up, but the vase seems to stay attached.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
880 Posts

Profile of lin
What a great idea. I've been keeping an eye out for a smallish vase suitable for the vase/rope suspension, but it hadn't occurred to me to look for a lota pot too...

Thanks for sharing!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Always check the Dollar Stores for vases, and you'll get lots of ideas. For example, get THREE vases like the ones described above and use one for the Lota, one for a Foo Can, and one for the bottle that swings from a rope, often called the "Chinese Bottle."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hm. You bought a cheap, commonplace product, then rigged it with a cheap and simple gimmick, creating a workable prop.

Trifecta! Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks for sharing, Paul. That is a great looking Lota.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of BCS
Good work... I so enjoy seeing projects like this. What else have you made?
Thanks,
Bruce
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Bruce-

Quite a bit. I have pictures of my monkey fist balls, tarot cards and razor wallet up on the forum here, just search my posts. I don't have that many. Aside from this, I also have made a square circle, a simple black art box, a performing table that folds down and fits into my car with a removable servante. I just finished lathing a copper Okito coin box, but I still have to do the sanding and etching on it. Many magic wands. Leather chop cups, chopped "bone" dice to go with the chop cup, and a whole bunch of other things.

Right now I am also working on an arm chopper. It is about half done. I have thought about posting a photo essay of the construction, but I don't know if people are interested in that or not. Frankly, I don't know how they work, but I know how mine is going to work. It could be like the professional ones. Then again, it may not. I like not knowing.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Paul, it would be great to view a photo of your leather chop cup together with the 'bone' dice, and also the copper Okito coin box too. Thanks.
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Paul..i'd be very interested of seeing a photo essay of your arm chopper...I'm sure many others would be too.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Terrific work with some creative thinking.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of BCS
Paul... yes please count me in as one who wants to see your pictures. The Square Circle looks great!
thanks,
Bruce
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
Paulyp,

I am fortunate enough to be married to a very gifted potter (that's ceramics, not gardening...). She has promised for years to make me a set of wheel-thrown cups for cups & balls, but what she has made is a few lota bowls. They are high-fire stoneware with reduction glazes - beautiful vases. When I showed them at the S.A.M. #59 meeting in Portland, OR years ago, they thought it would be great if having a party to have it out as a vase holding flowers in one's house. Then you could seemingly spontaneously decide to pull out the flowers (which can be live and handed out) and do a lota routine. Your vase is beautiful and non-prop looking, so maybe that could fit into a routine. Just throwing that out there for all.

The only slight frustration with mine, as I'm sure you have, too, is that it doesn't come apart for instant emptying. Is that an issue for you, or did you gimmick it in a temporary way so that you can empty it easilly? (my gimmick is part of the stoneware vase...)

Thanks!
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
newman1066
View Profile
New user
North Carolina, New York, Vermont,
53 Posts

Profile of newman1066
Beautiful piece of work that does not smack of being a magic prop.
Kudos - well done.