The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tommy Wonder Watch in nest of boxes (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Anyone here ever build one of these? Specifically method 3 (if you're familiar with the books/DVD)?

I'm going to start building one here soon and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
I own the version 1 that Tommy Wonder built for David Ben... and I may have a chance to purchase version 3 from the videos....
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7680 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have seen Version 3 up close and know where it resides. It is unfortunate that the owner may have to sell it due to his wife.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
I was just about to ask this exact question when I saw your post! I have asked on a few other sites with no luck.
I am studying for a degree in Special Effects and model making and am thinking about building this as my major project next term.
any help would be appreciated.
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
Hello Richard... I purchased my version 1 from Joe L. I hopefully will be the one that also buys the v3 also... I know of Joe's situation and I feel bad for him with his wife. He is a good man.
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7680 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, Joe is a great guy that deserves better. I feel fortunate to have to seen the collection intact. Joe was very generous helping with work on recreating the Blackstone Girl to Botania. It had been 25 years since I last saw it and I needed to verify a few details.

I last saw Joe at LA in November shortly before **** hit the fan. I have not talked to him since as I really don't know what to say having been in a similar situation once.

Mathew, I don't know what you need to know or if I can help you. If you have the books, you have most of the information. Write me via regular email and I will try to help.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
This is probably my most favorite piece in magic!

I am slowly making this. I do say slowly as I want to do it exactly the way Tommy built his! Any other way would not do this piece justice. I have a lot of the metal already cut and am getting ready to have the spacers for the "arm" milled.

Any luck on finding the clock like Tommy's? I'm also at a loss on the screw thread ring used on the back of the clock...

-Bryan
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I originally wasn't going to make a clock as the joke was largely lost on english-speaking audiences. The problem is, cylindrical nature of the inner box has several advantages over other shapes. I'm giving much though to alternatives, but may just end up making the 'clock'
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I don't know but I would have thought that the screw thread was custom made. I think the best place to look to find something that may be adapted however would be the MacMaster Carr catalogue. They are also on line. I hope I spelled their name right.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Please may I interject here
Am thinking you are familiar with the Books of Wonder,
Volume 1 - second page of the preface

;-)
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

I'm just putting the finishing touches to mine. I have altered the design quite a lot. The lever system is totally different, as is the trap. It is going to be a little noisier than the original when the clock seals because the lock mechanism was getting far too complicated for my little brain to tackle. Apart from that I think I have done a pretty good job.
My box has an old mahogany look to it.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Update.
No surprises here but the alterations I made did nothing to imrpove the trick. It worked, but did not do the original any justice at all. I have since dismantled my effort and started again trying to stick to Tommys design.
Has anyone else noticed that the Dear Mr. Wonder, whilst telling you everything you need to know, still makes it very difficult. He switches from mm to inches, the diagrams are not to scale and he doesn't tell you exactly how the pieces fit together.
It makes the project frustrating but also a lot of fun. I feel like I am on a treasure hunt. I think that he has done this on purpose. If you want to find this wonderful piece of magic- all the clues are there but you still have to work very hard to get there!
Great stuff.
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
I keep thinking (as best I can!!) to those two books and how all those "works" to make the watch "travel" to where it's supposed to!!

Like Tommy says in the book (or am I "remembering wrong" yet again!!) the one version he does is almost "TOO perfect" and spectators think that there must be a "duplicate watch" (or stooge??)"

Still...this one with ALL the pieces and workings...is fascinating!!
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

This is where I have got so far with the table. Pleas eremove if you think it is exposure

Click here to view attached image.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Matthew - Wow! Very impressive. Let us know when you get it all finished, we would love to see pics of the completed project. Good luck -

Bill
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Looks great
Raymagic11
View Profile
New user
Holland
63 Posts

Profile of Raymagic11
Looks great! I expected that few people actually have the skill to make this effect, but it is well worth the trouble.
"A magician has the skill to conceal the skill"
- Paul Wilson
"Magic is driven by emotion and conflict"
- Tommy Wonder
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'd be really interested to see how this all works out for you Matthew. Tommy was my favorite magician and this is my favorit effect of his. Good luck!
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Thanks Pepka,
I've finished the build and after a few last minute tweaks everything seems to be working well. I am off to work the summer season in Spain on Saturday and will be putting it through its paces every night for 5 months so hopefully it will stand up well. I'll keep you posted.

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 1:10am
I have the clock almost finished. Waiting for a few parts to arrive before I secure it all together.

Dan
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I am going to attempt to build Tommy Wonder's nest of boxes version 3. I am only in the planning stages right now and trying to decide on materials to use and how to create the clock. I have some ideas on creating the clock from readily available parts without having to hire a machine shop.

This is a question to those who have attempted this project. For the mechanics found within the table, Tommy recommends making out of aluminum to cut down on noise. Would making the main shapes out of wood with aluminum where the hinge points are be feasible?

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 1:10am
I have the clock almost finished. Waiting for a few parts to arrive before I secure it all together.

Dan