The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Alternative to Lighter Fluid (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
I own the torch to rose and I am curious, is there another fuel that can be used besides lighter fluid?
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
There is a pyro fuel available. Theaterfx used to sell it.
Mister Mystery
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Coleman Lantern Fuel (available in the camping department of most larger retail stores...)

Out of curiosity, why are you seeking a replacement for lighter fluid if you don't mind me asking?

Lyndel
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
Quote:
On 2008-03-23 17:19, Lyndel wrote:
Coleman Lantern Fuel (available in the camping department of most larger retail stores...)

Out of curiosity, why are you seeking a replacement for lighter fluid if you don't mind me asking?

Lyndel

It just seems so messy. I wasn't sure if there was a type of gel that is easier to apply and wont have that smell
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
I don't know if it would work for the rose, but I've used rubbing alcohol in mini dove pans and it works great! Inexpensive, less smoke, and has that fresh hospital smell!
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-03-23 17:22, magicalmischief wrote:

It just seems so messy. I wasn't sure if there was a type of gel that is easier to apply and wont have that smell

Actually, I think lighter fluid is the most convenient with the little pop up spout on the cans and all... Plus, another good feature is that it evaporates quickly. If you pull the gimmick back down on the appearing rose and just let it sit while you're breaking down, it should be all gone when you're ready to put it in your case or table for the trip home.

As for the smell... The audience won't be able to smell it - or at least they shouldn't if they are a safe distance away from you while you're performing with an open flame. I really wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

There is a pyro gel, but talk about messy?

An alternative might be flash paper... but of course you don't get fire for an extended amount of time like you would with the lighter fluid.

Lyndel
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree with Lyndel. I have not found anything more convienient or less messy than lighter fluid. It does smell, but not enough to be a bother. It inexpensive too. I used to have an effect that used a torch, and the lighter fluid would not stay lit very well. In a case like that, I would recommend pyro fluid, but that's about the only reason.
Mister Mystery
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I have used candle oil, I got the blu kind and used it on my torch to rose. the down side is you need to keep it wrapped in foil as the oil doesn't evaperate very well. when I use it with my torches, I have made the case fire proof. just to be safe.

Jason
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Yes, I use lamp oil like Jason. Tim Star told me that lamp oil was better because it will last longer or something like that.

Art
Day 24
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Coleman Fuel also produces a more opaque yellow flame than lighter fluid. I always thought it made the flame more visible on stage and used it for the torches back when I ate fire. Convenience aside, that's about the only difference between the two.

Just a thought: there are various additives available to change the color of flame. Might be interesting to use a red additive if you're turning the torch into a rose.

I have no source for these additives. (I'm shooting from the hip, here.) The pyromaniacs at TheatreFX could probably point you toward some.

Dan Wolfe, aka. "EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Martin John
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Martin John
Stick to lighter fluid! It's reliable, not particularly messy or expensive and redily available. I really think it is your best option, I use it for my pheonix cage, candles, end fire wallet for close you and it doesn't smell that bad at all, not noticibly anyway. Stick to the lighter fluid!
Magician Martin John
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
I agree with Martin.
Lighter fluid is reliable and you know it is proven relatively safe for most effects.
It is safe as long as you are careful.

Eric
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Quote:
On 2008-03-25 09:32, AmazingEARL wrote:
Coleman Fuel also produces a more opaque yellow flame than lighter fluid. I always thought it made the flame more visible on stage and used it for the torches back when I ate fire. Convenience aside, that's about the only difference between the two.

Dan is right, and for this reason alone you should use the Coleman fuel. But there are a few things to consider. Coleman fuel is significantly less expensive, and Jeff McBride told me that lighter fluid has chemicals that are harmful to breathe over prolonged periods. This would certainly apply to fire eaters.

Scott

Day 28
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Scott: For the record, Coleman Fuel also tastes better.

...well, not "better. "Less awful" would be more precise.

Dan/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 08:22, AmazingEARL wrote:
Scott: For the record, Coleman Fuel also tastes better.

...well, not "better. "Less awful" would be more precise.

Dan/EARL

LOL!!!
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
dannsirs
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dannsirs
Thank you found what I was looking for
Keep on Entertaining

Mark James
dannsirs@yahoo.com
http://www.UltimateDanceZone.com
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Has anyone found a compact way to carry lighter fluid? I just have the $2.99 jug from the hardware store.

Thanks.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
A camping store would have portable fuel containers.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2012, dbolan wrote:
Has anyone found a compact way to carry lighter fluid? I just have the $2.99 jug from the hardware store.

Thanks.

I use an empty eye dropper container such as Murine or Visine.
It doesn't leak and you just apply as much as you need. It takes very little space.
I use it for refilling my fire wallet.
Ihor
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In my 53 years of magic, I have found substitutes but nothing better than lighter fluid.

LOL! I keep some I a vanilla flavoring glass bottle that is great for travel.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com