The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Rubber Cement question (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I'm planning to use some rubber cement for a effect I'm working on, and I was was just curious if their is a way to take the rubber cement off of my skin with out pain.

Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Internal application of bourbon before you start.
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
Quote:
On 2008-03-22 19:15, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
Internal application of bourbon before you start.

LOL....Very very funny
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I believe rubber cement will ball up and roll off when you rub it. It's not painful.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Its not painful but it will irritate any sensitive areas of skin.

Best,

Tim

Day 22
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
An excessive amount of hair might be a little painful - but not bad. If you are worried about that pain you could shave the area first.
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I did shave the area first but when I started to roll it off it was painful.
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Rubber cement contains benzene. You may be allergic to it as it is quite toxic (read all the warnings on the label). You might want to switch to a non-toxic latex adhesive used in theatrical make-up applications, assuming you are not allergic to latex.

http://www.theatricalshop.com/makeup/latex.html
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Alexx Argen
View Profile
New user
"New" for 10+ years with only
85 Posts

Profile of Alexx Argen
I am a diabetic and my medical company provides these pads to get ride of the same kinda stuff when I remove the "sticky" from my insulin pump on my skin. I use these uni-solve pads when I present needle-thru arm. It removes rubber cement very well. Plus it looks as if your cleaning the area with an alcohol pad. http://www.brucemedical.com/skinbonceman.html
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Is it on your neck or on your arm? I haven't ever had a problem with it hurting to the point that I couldn't take it lightly. Maybe I just have a high tolerence?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2008-03-22 22:29, Jeff77 wrote:
I did shave the area first but when I started to roll it off it was painful.

That's because you're a "weenie"... Smile

Seriously though, you could very well have some sort of allergy to it. I hope you find a solution, and would be interested in what you discover.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Goo gone.
Non toxic, smells of oranges and takes it right off.
I use RC on my skin a lot. Rolling it off on a less sensative area is no problem, but when you use the inside of the upper arm or on the neck, it can get really sore after two or three shows.
Gwyd
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I think acetone works well. Also there is a product called rubber cement thinner. I don't know exactly what it is, where you get it, or how much it is, but my needle through the arm suggested it as an option.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!

www.fcm.org/profile/4Hisglory68
hmmagic
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
7 Posts

Profile of hmmagic
I have been using "lighter fluid" to remove rubber cement from my skin after the show (I then wash it off with water). Medical supply places sell an "adhesive remover" that costs a lot more and when I opened the bottle, coincidentally, it smells just like lighter fluid!!!
HARRY MAURER
www.hmmagic.com
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
You can get rubber cement thinner at Michaels or Joannes Fabrics. Don't think you are supposed to use it on the skin, I'm sure it's some sort of solvent.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I use lacquer thinner. Just a dab of it on a piece of cloth.

BTW, rubber cement in my country is much stronger. It is a pale brownish color. It is called contact cement here. I don't think they sell it in the USA.
I've seen some poor kids here sniff this stuff in a plastic bag to drain their brains.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Contact Cement is a different animal here. It is a permanent bonding cement used for plastics and such.

I remember when I used to do a fire bowl from under the arm. I was worried about not having enough juice to do the job. So added a little more fluid. I had no trouble lighting it or controlling it. But I had a nasty rash for about a week under my arm. I glad I took that out of the act 25 years ago.

But you have use common sense with this stuff and some people can have a reaction, even water.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
I have always been able to remove rubber cement from my arm from various effects with just plain ole hot soapy water. if the area is hairy is can hurt a little but no more than removing a band aid from a hairy area.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I think the best rubber cement I've used for the skin are those cheap ($1) small bicycle repair kits for patching flat tires. They are in small tubes and easy to carry. Look for the ones made in China.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Use all of these solvents with care. They aren't good for you on their own, and they can also carry stuff off the surface of your skin directly into your bloodstream.

I've found that certain wipes will remove rubber cement. It's a nice effect with needle through arm since there will be a red stain which covers any cement residue. Only medical folks will examine the wipe to see if the blood is real.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.