The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Memories of when I was a youth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Years ago, my dad built me several effects, one of which was a great sliding die box which I still use. He got the plans from a Home Mechanics magazine and I have been looking for it for years. Lo and behold, it's now on the Learned Pig project. Check it out. Might be some fun projects to build.

Don
sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sobrien
Don,
Is the learned pig project a web site or book?

Thanks
Shawn
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Hey Shawn,

It is a web site. See...
http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/

It is free but requires a membership application.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 21:27, oso2you wrote:
Years ago, my dad built me several effects, one of which was a great sliding die box which I still use. He got the plans from a Home Mechanics magazine and I have been looking for it for years. Low and behold, it's now on the Learned Pig project. Check it out. Might be some fun projects to build

Don

Was it Science and Mechanics' Magic Handbook? I have a bunch of copies, and they show up fairly often on eBay.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Yes. Science and Mechanics. That's the one.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I also have a copy of that magazine, and it contains some great stuff. I just noticed the other day that it was on TLP. They have put some incredible books up in the past few weeks. For guys that like the oldtime parlor stuff, there are some cool things that haven't been seen around in many years.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
There were actually two editions of this book. The older one was thicker than the newer one. When they were first published, they really caused a stir in the magic world - sort of the first major "exposure" works. I built a lot of stuff from those books.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I tried to register at the learned pig several years ago. I gave up. I did not know it still existed.
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There was a time period when it was much harder to get in. It took me quite awhile before I got my ok nod, and that was several years ago. That issue was addressed and has supposedly been handled. Marko is very good with communication. I get updates often regarding new books, etc.

Go back and try again.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magomarko
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magomarko
Please do as Michael says. I am checking new applications every two days. The site is growing and we will reach the 200 books mark in a few months this year.

Marko
Webmaster and Owner
TLPP website
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Wow, S&M Magic Handbook, sitting right here on my shelf. Great stuff in it, but it also reminds me of the good old days when things were simpler and you could look at some of this stuff and just dream about making it or using it. It was fun.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
You are right, George. It was a lot of fun looking through the magic catalogs (remember Kanter's?) and dreaming. I remember saving up so I could buy an appearing cane for $12.50. It was the original and I still have it.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I used to look at this book at my uncle's house. He had a room where he kept all of "his" stuff - his lapidary supplies, magazines and books, etc., and the room was always locked. Whenever it was open, I always gravitated toward Magic Handbook. By the time he finally gave it to me, the first ten-or-so pages were long gone.

Enter eBay and VOILA!, a brand new copy!
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
So I have now searched the learned pigs website and can't find the die box plans you were referring to. Can you guide me as to where they are?
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 09:36, Tony Thomas wrote:
So I have now searced the learned pigs web site and can't find the die box plans you were referring to. Can you guide me as to where they are?

Go to TLPP. Click the link for the Magic Handbook (Science & Mechanics). Then look in the second section, below the dagger head chest.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thank you Michael. Got it.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com