The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Wax seal stamp. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I was wondering if anyone had ever made a stamp for a letter wax seal? I am looking to make my own design. I have a dremel and that's about it. It only need be used once or twice, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Declan.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
There are a number of materials that might work. If you want a wood block, then any good tight grain wood would work. There are a number of artificial stone products, some soft enough to make a good seal out of, though natural stone will splinter too much on you. Be careful with stone that it doesn't get too hot when you're grinding on it. There are also some plastics, but again watch the heat or it will melt.
I never made wax seal, but I made a bread seal from wood with dremel tool, just pick your tools carefully and keep grinding speeds slow. Don't try to take too much material all at once. Careful of splintering when going cross grain.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-02-19 22:44, Silvertongue wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had ever made a stamp for a letter wax seal? I am looking to make my own design. I have a dremel and that's about it. It only need be used once or twice, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
[...]

You're only going to use it once or twice? I have one word for you: Fimo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimo

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Sculpey will work, too- Available at any crafts shop like Michael's.

You can also use it as a transfer to take impressions, or even transfer printed art to it, then grind away the negative space with the Dremel.

If you're using it as a mold and have no release agent, I find that Gold Bond powder works well in a pinch.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Thanks guys I was thinking about using resin??? and graphite paper to get my drawing onto the resin.

Dec
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva