The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Hiding the Pillar - Real World Magic Situation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
57 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
Greetings and Salutations,

I've moved back to Chicago from Las Vegas and am attending Flashpoint Academy for Film. The school has, knowing that I am a magician, approached me with a unique project, and I wanted to get some suggestions.

The school is in its first year and has acquired a new piece of property off of the main campus. The layout would be amazing, if not for one ugly cement column directly in the line of sight of the immense hallway. It is to become a studio space, and the first thing one sees when getting off the elevator on to this particular floor is this nasty pillar.

So... they've been considering different things they want to project onto something that will fill the space, and had mentioned a free floating cube that would be the "canvas" for the projections.

Not limiting yourself to floating objects, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to adapt some form of illusion onto or in the are around this pole to make it a thing of beauty and wonder as opposed to it's current state.

I've been researching black art, and various theatrical techniques, but alas I am aware that although I might get lucky and come up with something that looks kind of neat by myself, I realize that nobody can't use some help and I would be grateful to anyone who would be kind enough to make any suggestions. Once I get pictures from the developers I will post them to give you a better idea.

Thank you always,

Danny Crook
DannyCrook.com
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
http://www.hemmy.net/2006/02/14/3d-room-......llusions

Something like that could be GREAT Smile

Gary
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Something like this would be neat:

http://blog.guerrillacomm.com/2008/01/gu......ing.html
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
The scene from the end of 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' comes to mind where the bridge to walk across completely blends in with the stone wall in the distance.

Seems to me with the controlled viewing angle of the people coming off the elevator you could make the column completely blend in with the wall on the other side of the room.

Sincerely,
David
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
57 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
Thanks for all your suggestions, this definitely helps!
DannyCrook.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The images in hemmy.net look fantastic, except for one little detail. You only get the effect from one viewpoint, which includes the height of the eye above the floor. Anyone looking at the space from even a slightly different viewpoint will not get the effect. And, as you walk in, the effect goes away very quickly.

Without seeing a photo of your pillar in place, I can't be sure, but I would think that floor-to-ceiling mirrors, mounted at a 45 to the elevator, could be effective, especially if you outline the floor around it as an accent area.

Another thought would be to use the pillar as a stand for two or three flat-screen monitors showing clips from movies made at the school. What the heck... if you get lemons, make lemonade... Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
57 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
I'm still waiting on the pictures. We already have multiple flatscreens showing student work, that's why they want this to be different. I'll let all of you know when I finally get the photos.

thanks,

danny
DannyCrook.com
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
How wide is the hallway, and where does the pillar fall? (i.e. In the middle?) One end 10 feet from the wall? How big is the column, etc. I have an idea you might like but need dimensions to see if it would work.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com