The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: The rope broke (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I think I may have asked this once before a couple of years ago, but I am about to get back into the workshop and thought I would have another go at it.

I need a system in which a spectator is holding a rope, the rope goes up from them to a mechanism. They have to believe they are holding up a weight. The the rope should release in their hands when I want, letting them believe the rope either broke or came loose. The real release is somewhere else under my control.

any thoughts?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Electro magnetic with remote control?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Hidden assistant holding the rope and letting go of it on que?
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
What are the restrictions on this? Could you adapt a camera-trigger (flexible cord with plunger) to hold the rope down, or does it need to be wireless?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
What I am hoping for is that a spectator will honestly believe he is holding up something by hanging onto a rope. He is not, but doesn't know it. The rope then brakes allowing him to hold the broken end of a rope drooping from his hand to the floor. Then the weight falls. He knows the rope has failed, but others may think he is at fault.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!