The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Elecronic Parts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3635 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Can anyone point me to a good source for miniature electronic parts. Im needing everything from plug-in (male and female for transformers) to reed switches.

My local Radio Shack sucks!

Thanks!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
E-bay is actually pretty good for electronic parts. There's lots of other on-line suppliers in the UK I'm sure it's the same over your side, have a google.

To get the best prices I usually find scavaging other equipment the best way to go.

I recently wanted a reed switch, also, and it cost a couple of quid in Maplins but then I came across a cheap window alarm system in a pound (dollar) store and ended up gettin 2 reed switches, 2 magnets and batteries and casings all for £1.

George
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
It's sad that Radio Shack got out of the usefulness business.
Me? I'd Google Electronic Parts + Your City.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Dollar (Pound) store is definitely the first place you should look for just about everything. I came across the same window alarm and immediately put it to use as an instant alarm for anyone moving my stuff! The alarm goes off if someone picks up a prop or opens your case, etc. The best insurance I ever bought for a buck!

You can also find this kind of stuff on-line if you don't live near a Dollar (Pound) store:
http://www.firstratesecurity.com/slideawayalarm.html

You have to know what's inside to know what electronic parts you'll be getting, but it's kind of an obvious source for a magnetic reed switch and a circuit for making a screaming sound.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
550 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
5dse
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of 5dse
Digikey hands down...

I have used all of the sites that Craig lists, all good, but Digikey has the best overall selection.
--------------------------
5th Dimension Special Effects - http://5dse.twist-shout-scream.com
A proud member of Twist-Shout-Scream.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3635 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Some great ideas, thanks!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1636 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
"Radio Shack....you got questions.....WE got friggen questions." Smile
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Miniature plugs are at hobby shops that sell model airplane/ rocket items. Reed switches can be found on line.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
550 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
Lots of reed switches at train shops as well. I got a whole pile on ebay for about $5. -Craig
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com