The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Does this seem like a good table base (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Doesn't seem like this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPKS7350 would be great for a sturdy, portable table base? Anything I'm missing?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Hey North Carolina! I tried to see your show in Durham at the Barking Dog Theater (Was that the name? - I remember it was a strange name), but it was sold out. Do you have plans to do any others?

I think the base would definitely be sturdy. The biggest downside to me, is that there are no casters to move it around on stage. If that isn't a problem for you, then I would think you have a winner!
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
That is a pretty heavy duty table stand, seems as though it would be quite bulky.

They have the other stand that is like a scissor which may be more portable.

Just a thought.

Chris
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It is sturdy but a bit bulky for moving around.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Hi Tony,

Good to hear from you. I will be bringing the show back to ManBites Dog next March. Longer run this time. Get tix early! (Or if you get shut out, let me know and I will get you in for sure.

Quote:
On 2007-08-30 23:43, Tony Thomas wrote:
Hey North Carolina! I tried to see your show in Durham at the Barking Dog Theater (Was that the name? - I remember it was a strange name), but it was sold out. Do you have plans to do any others?

I think this base folds up pretty well. I will check on the weight and folded size. But I do like it's sturdiness, and that fact that it looks different from either a music stand-style base or a scissor base (both of which I really don't like the look of.) I'd almost trade the slight bulkiness for something that looks (to me) much cooler and unusual. Plus I like the idea of how sturdy and un-flimsy it might be.

Not sure yet, but if I get it, I will let you know whether it was a mistake or not!
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Hey Joshua:

I have one of these tables for my keyboard. While a very stable base, it requires more in the way of set-up time... The top bars fold up and over, and the two upright need to be bolted together by the middle. Not sure I could reasonably recommend as a performance table base.

What is your intended use? The street guys use the X-base, partly due to historical precedent, partly because the bases are cheap and sturdy. You can get them in both metal and wood versions (check out Jim Zee's tables on the L&L videos, he makes the leg & X versions).

If you are performing regularly in cabaret spaces, you could use Eureka table bases (I have used three in different ways for over 15 years) or buy specialized tables similar to the Harbin or others with casters such as the Dancing Spring Magic table (http://dancingspringmagic.com/). The last are incredibly sturdy and the manufacturer provides several options for different uses (I have two).

Good luck!

ajp
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Thanks for the tips. I don't really do very much street work, mostly corporate stage and cabaret, where I would have plenty of time to set up. There is something about the x leg version that I REALLY don't like the look of (maybe because it looks so collapse-able and easy to set up -- which it is). When you say this keyboard table requires more time to set up, how much time are you talkin'? And also, can you tell me how small it is when collapsed, and how much it weighs? Thanks so much.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
AndrewBarbour
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewBarbour
Joshua - I hear you about not liking the look of the X stand under the case - it always looks like you are.. .well.. using a keyboard stand or a waiter stand. I decided to go with a simple (and cheap) X style stand but I put velcro around the bottom lip of the case I am using and made a simple drape so it covers three sides. This allows me to ditch anything under the case and stand that I want to keep hidden.

The stand, drape, side table top, and side table base (cymbal stand) all fit into the keyboard/case carry bag I bought.

Good luck
AB