The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Drilling the bottom of a bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Would like some advise on drilling the bottom of a bottle without cracking or breaking the glass.

Basically I would like to drill a large hole at the bottom of a bottle so I can load things in secretly from the bottom. To do that I need a hole large enough.

Any advise, tips or experience you can help me with? Thanks.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
You can buy special glass drill bits at any hardware store. Use a standard power drill, gently, and you will have a clean glass hole. I said glass hole.

Here is one link:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index......43995943
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hello, James:

I'm not sure what diameter hole you need, but if the object being loaded is large enough, would it make more sense to remove the bottom of the bottle? If so, a diamond saw blade would do.

I have a tile saw that cuts with such a blade, and makes a neat job of slicing through bottles. A tile supply store or tile contractor in your area should have such a device; any minor chipping on the cut surface can afterwards be ground away with carborundum paper or a piece of a grind wheel. Even if the cut is free of chipping, de-burring this way will remove the sharp edge.

Best of luck,
Leland
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, GeneTony and Leland, for the tip. I'll give both ways a try to see which is easier for me. The bottle I am using has an unusual shape - a bit challenging there.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I'm not sure a regular hardware store will carry a glass drill bit big enough that will cut a large hole in a glass. I've only ever saw glass drill bits maybe the size of a half inch or so. Good luck.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
If a hole larger than 1/2" is needed, a diamond hole saw will do the trick, but they're expensive ($50-$60). If you have a steady hand and patience, you could drill a series of small holes in a circular pattern then "connect the dots" with a dremel style tool. I'll bet you could bring the bottle to a glass shop and they'll cut the hole for you for a reasonable charge.

Diamond hole saws, and bottle cutting info:
http://www.drillglass.com/drwibo.html

and:
http://www.drillglass.com/biforho1la.html
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
As I understand it, a RotoZip tool is supposed to have bits that will cut glass. I've never cut anything that hard, but it might be worth a try.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks for those inputs, guys.

I actually need to remove the bottom of a bottle and the hole must be at least 3 - 4 inches in diameter. What would you advise?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Look here:

Bottle Cutting
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thank you very much, amosmc. This is exactly what I am looking for.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I just drilled an 1/8" hole by 1/8" deep in the bottom-side of a drinking glass using a Bosch brand glass and tile bit from the Home Depot for about $7. I used a dremel at about 1500 RPM's and lubricated. It worked very well.

Dan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I made my own Hydrostatic Glasses by using a a carbon tip drill bit for Masonry or concrete drilling.

I used a drill press, and went very slowly with low rpm. I later found using cutting oil or just plane oil helped to keep the heat down and cut a little faster. These were only eigth inch holes.

Wear safety googles to protect your eyes.

The easier way to remove the bottom, would be to take the bottle to a mirror and glass store and have them do it. It should not cost much for removing the bottom of a bottle.