The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Gluing suede to aluminum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
Can anyone tell me the best glue to use for gluing suede to aluminum? I want to line an aluminum case for performance purposes.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
There's glue specifically made for leather called BARGE. Use a roller and roll on a layer. Let it dry about 15 min. And then be VERY careful slowly putting it down. There's no re-moving it... where it goes is where it will stay.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If I may suggest, ensure that your aluminum is clean dry and free of any grease or handprints. It is better if the aluminum has been roughened- coarse sanding or with a grinder, to give some surface for the adhesive to grab on the metal.

Then to complete the adhesive power of barge (or 3-M heavy duty contact cement spray, or other contact cement...), once it is somewhat dry, activate the adhesive with a heat gun or blow dryer, you do not want to burn it, but do look for the glue to begin to "bubble" and blister, then apply your leather, and attack with a rolling pin or smooth hunk of wood to press flat, and get into the corners.

Be sure to trim AFTER glue in! If you can apply a piece of plywood cut to size, or a few books and bricks for weight atop the leather for an evening or two, this will help to insure good contact with the adhesive (I have a 2 ton hydraulic ram with a flat board I use in my shop- sort of an inverted car bottle jack). Remember, leather is a fibrous material, and you want those little fibers to mingle with the nice warm sticky stuff as much as possible.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
Thanks very much to both of you. This is extremely helpful.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Oh! I forgot to ask, are you usign pig suede, the thin stuff, or lamb? or the heavier cow suede. If the thin, consider the spray glue, as the barge in a can or tube will soak through the pores. For cow suede you should be okay.
Don't foget, to use your suede stone to scrub off-gently- any mishaps after all the glue is dry and cold!
kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
I haven't picked out the suede yet. You are in central CA. Do you have a source? I'm up in the mountains near Yosemite. Which kind would be best for lining an aluminum case?
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I used 3M heavy tac for my guitar peddle board (leather on aluminum), it's holding up nicely.
POOF!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
For the lining aspects, it really depends on what you are protecting, there are some tanning processes that will affect bare metals, and the reverse as well! That would be a case of when in doubt, use velvet! If the item going into the case is not metal, then you will be okay, and the main reason for one or the other is either price/color/feel when you touch it.
For leather, while it is in Napa, they will ship, I suggest the Napa Hide House- they can be found at http://www.hidehouse.com
I am in Stockton, I think you can find a Tandy/Leathercrafters near Fresno, and there is likely a leather-goods shop in or near Mariposa. I will certainly help out if I can.
For the guitar pedal, the fact that it gets pressure applied regularly as you step on it means the adhesive gets re-mashed into the leather and helps it to stick better with each use.
In a case, if fully lining the sides too, remember that the opportunity for an edge to catch and come loose is the upper side edges, the use of a corner molding can save the looks and extra work, if there is room for it to go on the case. You can either fold the leather over the edge (not always the best method due to wear) OR swing by the local auto parts store, or wally-mart and pick up the gen-u-ine chrome-look plastic car trim, the stuff that looks like a U channel in pretty gold or silver, etc., colors, run a bead of glue inside, and apply over the edge, capturing the leather under the U. (Handy incidentally for a myriad of edge decor, roughness covering, etc. uses, even in costuming!)
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
Thanks very much for this info. Very helpful.