The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Compu Carve Woodworking tool (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I saw this on TV this morning. I thought it was cool. A printer for wood basically. There is a video on the left hand side below the pic.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00921754000#
Aim To Amaze
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Wow, I like it. Do you know if it can cut wood to a given shape or is it purely for carving? It doesn't seem over expensive considering it's uses.

Mark
Mark Daniel
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Wow, that must use a lot of elves! So...who's going to make the cookies now?
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Based on the feedback on their own site, I would hold off, sounds like they still have a few bugs to work out!
The specs say a max wood sixe of 5" and a max depth of cut 1"
FYI
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I think that's the case with anything new. The bugs will be overcome, the price will come down, then everyone will have one in their workshop. Including me. So do you know if it will actually cut wood or is it just for carving?

Mark
Mark Daniel
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 19:35, magicmarkdaniel wrote:
I think that's the case with anything new. The bugs will be overcome, the price will come down, then everyone will have one in their workshop. Including me. So do you know if it will actually cut wood or is it just for carving?

Mark

It says it can rip boards which would be cutting them along their length. I imagine this is only the first of what will be soon availabe in the future. It's a cool concept, it can only get better.
Aim To Amaze
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I saw a wood sample carving at a Sears in my area and it looked great. It would be fun to see it in action.

Dan
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 21:23, montemagic wrote:

It says it can rip boards which would be cutting them along their length. I imagine this is only the first of what will be soon availabe in the future. It's a cool concept, it can only get better.

The "concept" of using computers to control and guide wood cutting and maching has existed for many decades. For more than 20 years I have been one of the pioneers of this technology in the industry wherein I make my primary living. I have four such computer-controlled machines in my studio - the youngest I built 8 years ago - and they are all exponentially superior to this piece of home-hobby junk.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
TW,

Not claiming it is new, just now affordable for the home user.

And 20 years ago, computers weren't much of anything. Not that I was either.

This is a product that I would bet will continue to be developed, and reduce in price. Perhaps you should market one of your superior versions.

~MM
Aim To Amaze
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 23:28, montemagic wrote:
TW,

Not claiming it is new, just now affordable for the home user.

There have been various versions of this machine that have been "affordable for the home user" for more than half your lifetime. There are currently on the market several machines that are capable of much more precision than the Sears -and at LOWER prices than the $1900 they want as well.

Quote:
"This is a product that I would bet will continue to be developed, and reduce in price. Perhaps you should market one of your superior versions."

Actually, I’ve built many similar machines for a number of different industries, and I am regularly hired to consult for companies using computers to control everything from routers to lasers, and just about anything in between. This “marvel” that you think is so incredible has been around at virtually every level for a very long time before Sears decided to join the fray.

Here's a link to one popular brand:

http://www.pdjinc.com/

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Hey Monte,

Interesting machine. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Learn something new everyday.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Monte,

Thanks for sharing. From reading the reviews it sounds like this particular machine needs a lot more work.

Several years ago I was building a Twister illusion for a friend. His brother-in-law owned a woodworking shop with a large (maybe a 5 or 6 foot bed) CNC router. Although the router was an ancient model with ancient software, he programmed and cut a perfect "ratchet gear" in a fraction of the time we could have done it by hand. From reading the specs, I don't think that these small machines could have handled a piece the size we needed, but having something like this in my home shop would definitely be a perfectly good reason for using a LOT of wood.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
It definitely looks like something fun to play around with. I need to practice doing these things by hand first, but I would bet you could get a lot of smaller props out of this particular machine.
Aim To Amaze