The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Finding An Open Work Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
As I get into making my own illusions more and more. The idea of finding an open work shop came up. Meaning, I can go to a shop with all the tools and build what I want and pay some sort of monthly fee.

I tried searching around and found nothing. Do you guys know of anything like that?

Thanks!
Josh London

P.S. I'm in San Diego, CA
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Try a local adult-ed program, technical high school, community center, and similar places. Sometimes these places offer woodworking "classes," in the sense that you can go and build your own stuff but can help if you need it.

I found such a place in Massachusetts many years ago -- a vocational high school -- and the shop was unbelievable.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Check with the folks at your local Rockler store (858-268-1005) and see if they know of anything like this.

There's also a San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association that might be of help. Check with Bob Stevenson at (619) 422-7338 or Ron Rossi at (619) 582-9883.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
This is a marvel Idea. how many guys have converted their sheds into less than Ideal workshops. perhaps a well equiped shop like the ones we had in the military would be a great way to get a business started>
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I tried emailing people and the closest I could come is at a local high school 2 nights a week. But you have to take the projects home with you.

I'll keep seaching and if anyone stumbles upon anything in San Diego, please PM me.

Thanks!
Josh London
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you belong to a magic club, you might find other members who also want what you want and would be willing to find a way to fund it through the club. Or, you could put an ad in the paper just looking for woodworkers who might want to form a group and come up with such a club to be able to share equipment and word working advice and experience. In other words, if you can't find one, see if you can make one happen. I bet there are a lot of others who would appreciate being a part of that.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
There is a place in San Mateo Ca (a bit north, but maybe they will spread) Tooltech.com- a membership tool heaven, from sewing machines to plasma cutters!
(OOoooOOO)k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Correction to the above,the website is techshop.ws
Sorry for any confusion!
k