The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Spring Steel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Does anyone know where I can buy spring steel by the roll?

This steel would be similar to the thin spring steel used in kid's toy tents, auto sunshades, and folding laundry baskets. I need it to make a lightweight, folding set piece for my stage.
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Without having to buy it in bulk an alternate might be a metal tape measure replacement roll. Available at hardware/home improvement outlets.

Just a thought.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Thank you, Stanyon. I know a metal tape measure split in two is used to make spring flowers. The little split goes two ways. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I think I might need something stronger than that. I am using the spring steel to make a frame for lightweight spandex fabric. It has to be strong enough to hold the spandex out, while being flexible enough to be squished into a smaller collapsed state for travel. Any ideas?
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Enco sells spring shim stock, McMaster Carr, MSC, Travers Tool. Almost anyplace that sells to machinists will have it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ lots of options item 9074K22 should get you into the right area.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Mkiger, thanks for the link. I think the "Blue-Finished and Polished 1095 Spring Steel .028" Thick, 1/8" Width, 25' Coil" is what I need. I will call them next week to see if this is the correct steel for the application. This is an excellent resource!
Thanks for the help!
Autumn
Doug Henning