The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Foam Core (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Anyone know where I can get big (8 ft X 4ft) foam core?

Thanks!
Josh London
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
What kind of foam core are you talking about, art board, or wood or chipboard panels with foam insulation sandwiched in between? Most Lumberyards can order the later for you if they don't carry it. The former may not be manufactured in that size. If it were, its main use would be in signage. You might try some of the local sign companies, especially those that specialize in making temporary signs like Fast Signs, etc.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I would like something very strong, yet light.

The ideal thing would be the kind with the foam in the middle. I'm going to be using it to make The Pass By Panels from Osborne's Easy Build Illusions. Then I'm going to have the company's logo silk-screened on the board.

Josh
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If you have a local art supply store, they should have Gator Foam brand materials in thicknesses of an inch or more. Also check with sign shops.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
Most suppliers require you buy a case of it. (25 sheets of 3/8") Your best bet is either contact a sign shop, or a prop company.

Tim
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
I second the suggestion of calling a sign shop. I work at one and know that we use this material from time to time.
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
I have used material that has been a dream to use instead of plywood...

It is an expanded foam sheet of PVC/plastic. I have used 1/4" 4x8 sheets. It will cost around $60 and can be found at plastic supply houses.

It is basically a plastic board, but with the expanded (think foam) middle, it is very light. It can be cut with simple tools (table saw is best) and assembly is glue (special adhesive also from the supply house) that takes minutes to set up and is STRONG. It paints well (I used spray can type). I also found that boxes can be watertight (nice for that time I broke an egg in it!!!) It has been very stable (no warping like cheap wood plywood.

Expensive, but the stability and ease of assembly makes up for it...
Lynn Fox
Bill Rubie
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
61 Posts

Profile of Bill Rubie
I used to buy large size when I had a photo studio. I purchased them from "Baltimore Display" They specialize in items for Malls and window dressers that need displays.

I'm sure that there is a company in your area that carries this. I found it to be a lot less (Cost wise) than an art supply or sign shop. Careful when you shop there, because they have many cool items.

Hope this helps,
Bill
When a person starts off a factual statement with "They Say"...

Please ask, who are they?

Bill
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Bill or Lynn (or anyone else), do you know this material's brand name?
Thanks!

Curt
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
I use gator foam a lot in my business, your best source will be a plexiglass/plastic sheet goods supplier. If they do not have it try a sign/graphics supply house, like Tubelite Co. Gator foam brand is the best and strongest but it is also the most expensive.