The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Aging Metal Items (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
drcyclops
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of drcyclops
Any advice on methods to age metal items?
Thanks,
Dr.Cyclops
"You are a wise man, Van Helsing, for one who has only lived one lifetime..."
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Air, water, heat, acids, salts, sandpaper/emery cloth...a really good paint job.

Take your pick.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
In the past I have left some of mine outside in the garden for a couple of weeks! - Very authentic but unfortunately, you have little control over just how much ageing you are going to get!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Here's some interesting information:

Aging Metal
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
All those aging recipes work fine, but you can also ask a theatrical painter. Patina can be painted very convincingly. The real advantage is that the material your spectators suppose the item maybe is not used for the construction. You can use paper mache, plaster, wood or plastics and the paint job will make it look like marble, solid iron, precious hardwood or else. For shop decoration, there exist some colours especially for such purposes; for instance: paint that immediately looks like rust.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
The other reason to use a good paint job to represent aging is there is less potential danger of a treated or stressed metal part failing prematurely. Many illusions call for the support of weight in one way or another. You don't want to take any chances with structural integrity.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
eyebuildillusions
View Profile
New user
Fairview Park , Ohio
29 Posts

Profile of eyebuildillusions
All are very useful ideas. I have had really good results for aging tin, iron etc., with liquid drano and rock salt. PM for details.
"Give them a good show and they will gladly pay the price of admission.”