The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Crushing Beer Can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18105 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Anyone know how to gaff a beer can so it crushes ala Animal House?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Use your hand, beer can, and forehead.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
You used to get fake crushable cans that sprung back into shape. I think they were some kind of soft vinyl with a spring inside but I haven't seen them since I was a pup.

With a real can maybe you cut cut some slits in to make it easier. Careful though, sounds like sharp edges could be involved.

As well as animal house, isn't there a beer crushing gag in Jaws?

George
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1791 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
True story, stupid but true. In my younger years I got into a can crushing contest with a fellow inebriated friend, we started to crush empty cans with our heads then open cans with contents, then finally sealed cans. I won but the next day I looked like someone had cut the olympic symbol into my forehead. Simply put the secret method is total intoxication, you will feel no pain. You may be stupid for the rest of your life but the can will be crushed.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Kevin James sells them! The fake cans!

M:C
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
Gaff not the can for the can will crush only once. Gaff the head.

Ok, so maybe that wouldnt work either. Maybe get a metal plate in your head...Or as previously mentioned...get drunk
jamie9
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of jamie9
Someone on another forum came up with an engenious method for a self crushing can! It is brilliant! you can make it at you house in like 15 mins. It is also reusable. The effect is that it visably crushes in your hand on your command and it looks so cool...It almost looks as if it is melting.
here is a vid of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qc56-7gBOM
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Do you want to crush it against your forehead?

That's easy, but can be sleightly dangerous if done improperly. An aluminum can is used, of course. If you give the can a slieight dent in its side with your finger as you place it against your head, then use a sleight twisting motion as you press, it will crush with minimum effort after the initial push. Try this out in your hands several times to get the feel for it.

Now, about the sleightly dangerous part. At times, the can may actully tear while being crushed. This will leave a very sharp edge that may end up against your forehead or your hand. Either way you can receive a nasty cut if you are not focused and careful. Try crushing dozens of cans and evetually you will see what I mean.

I have been doing this since the Animal House movie came out and have never had a problem, but it is important to realize what might happen and practice for prevention. There is a touch to this whole business that must be developed.

If you weren't talking about crushing a can on your forehead, ignore everything I just said. =D

Cheers,
WoodRat
Learn something new everyday.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
You used to be able to find the spring soda cans in most any joke shop in the world but I haven't seen them in years. I used them in my kids show when I lived in Germany. I'm also looking for them if anyone finds them.
Enjoy!
Joe