The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: New Saftey Table Saw (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
For all you guys who ever used a table saw and have visions of terror in your mind check out this new invention.

Its amazing!!!! http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1176468411/Safety_Saw

Best,

Tim
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I saw these a couple years ago! I wish this technology would become standard on ALL power saws....
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
That is nice...
I would worry that it might give inexperienced users a sense of complacency though, and might make them a little more careless.
Still a great idea though. My years in woodworking have given me more than a little respect for a table saw. It would be nice to take a little of that edge off.
Yes...25 years in woodworking and they still make me nervous.
Gwyd
merlin5150
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of merlin5150
I remember back in shop class watching " The legend of three fingered Joe"
Jeff
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Wouldn't there be an irresistible temptation to see whether it worked?
Jolyon Jenkins
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
No- it costs like $300 each time it is "fired" to reset the saw... well, that USED to be the price... Maybe they have it down now, but it's not something you can play with or test cheaply.

Yeah, I have been using a Radial Arm saw since I was about 15. The LONGER I use it, the more care and respect I have for it. Years ago I launched a full sheet of plywood accross a shop and into a concrete wall.... Bent the saw blade into an L shape.... Luckily I lived!

RESPECT!!!! I have this for saws!

Funny true story- (SCARY story actually) I am helping a school theatre group with set design and tech stuff... it's a High School and the kids are not allowed to have box cutters, utility knives or use styrofoam of ANY KIND for safety reasons.... But they use table saws, drills, miter saws and circular saws unsupervised and in sometimes bare feet! I always refuse to be anywhere near when the kids are using tools!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I saw a friend use a 5 hp Delta table saw to sling an 8-foot-long, 1"x1" strip across the room and through the siding of a steel building. Fortunately, he had just stepped aside to reach for his push block. That was it for the day...

Pretty cool device, though, but what a waste of perfectly good weenies...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
The instant a fool-proof device is created, the fools simply become more sophisticated. Count me in with the crowd that sees this technology as a substitute for care and an invitation to carelessness...unless and until ALL tablesaws are equipped or retrofitted with this gizmo.

And all radial arm saws are turned in for scrap.

Leland
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
They demo'd the saw at a woodworking show. It's a great idea.

The more safety features we add to consumer goods, the more chances people take.
POOF!
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Wow... that is pretty cool! I can't recall the countless images that run through my mind everytime I fire up my tablesaw...

Now, if they can only use this technology with a router...

-Bryan
Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Profile of Curt from Canada
I agree Bryan, Routers scare the hell out of me
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 23:45, Curt from Canada wrote:
I agree Bryan, Routers scare the hell out of me

They should scare you! As long as you are afraid of them you'll respect them and keep all your fingers intact. Its when you don't fear them that you have a problem. LOL

Best,

Tim
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
A friend of mine bought this saw after having an accident on his saw, and has had it triggered 5 times (though none of the times involved body parts - any contact with metal will trigger the device). The cost to replace the device is now down to about $35.00 (he told me I could test it if I wanted to pay for one of the cartridges - I may do it at some time just to see it work). A truly revolutionary improvement, I wish it were on my saw (and yes, I find my saw scary as heck). This should be standard on all tablesaws (he originally wanted to sell the technology to the saw manufacturers, but none were interested, so he decided to have sawsmanufactured himself).
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not a bad idea, but even technology can fail, best safety is to know how to use the power tools correctly and to always use them that way. People try do short cuts or try to do things with power tools without all the necessary accessories and safety equipment. Like sawing long pieces without additional rollers or table to support work, pushing material too rapidly through the blade, improper blade setting, etc. If you are going to use power tools, take the time to learn to use them safely and correctly and never ever take short cuts.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."