The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Enlarging the mouth of a beer can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
Hi All!

I know...odd title for a subject name, but here is my problem:

I have a Chop Beer Can which I love to use, but I find the mouth diameter is too small for my preferred final load. Does anybody know how I may enlarge the opening of the can (it is made out of a real aluminum beer can)? Or, if not, any ideas where I might take it to have it enlarged for me?

Thanks for any help!

Best,

Sandy
merlin5150
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of merlin5150
Sandy, I used to make my own beer can chop cups, since the pk ring ive stopped making them. my final loads ended up being billard balls. I used a bench top grinder to open the bottoms up. this took some practice and patience and most importantly safety as the can could snag on the wheel. this is hard to explain, but ill try, you place the opening against the wheel and rotate the can, try to do this evenly and not to slow, after a couple of turns you'll notice a flat edge will form, take a round file and pull out this as you turn the can, then use a fine wool pad and smooth out the edges. the openings of my cans were on the bottom of the cans not the pull tab end. this was done because the opening could be wider than the pull tab end also, making the opening to big will make the cans opening and sides weak and less sturdy. any questions? hope this helps Jeff
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
Thanks Jeff!
Actually, my can is open on the pull tabe end so it has the nice formed lip around the edge. I was hoping there was some way to enlarge it and still keep the lip. But your ginder ideas is interesting. Perhaps I can cut down the edge and try to form a new lip around the cut edge somehow.
Thanks!
Sandy
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Sounds like you could use a large cone shaped object to gently flare-form a new opening. Not sure how it would work on the pull tab end with the ridge, that will make it tougher to do I think,but if you did the bottom, and needed it wider a wee bit, a large wodden cone shape, or metal one (talk to a blacksmith) could be used to shape the opening. (You could also see if it will chuck into a lathe, the use a wood block to gently flare the opening.)
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
You might try a tool from harbor freight that flares out pipes for car mufflers. Can't remember what it is called but they come in different sizes.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.
Ray, I checked the Harbor Freight site and only saw something to flare smaller pipe sizes. I'll keep looking though. I'll also try someone who works with air ducts and ventilation and see if they have any ideas.
Thanks, again!
Sandy
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2208 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Changing over to a Fosters beer can will do the trick too, and they look nice Smile
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
That's an excellent idea, why didn't I think of that.
Now, does anybody know if they make a Fosters chop beer can, or do I need to do it myself?
Sandy
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I would try to do it myself. Even if I had to go through dozens of cans of beer before I got it right.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
merlin5150
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of merlin5150
I,ve made them for a while, I ended up using the Heineken keg can, the chrome look of the can was nice. pm me your e-mail and ill send you some pics. Itried to post some here but, had problems w/ the uploading. My routine ended up w/ me opening the can and pouring the beer in a glass. Jeff