The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magic Carpet Rotation Problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Hi All

I recently purchased a used Magic Carpet illusion. I admit I paid well over what it was worth in the condition it was in but I went on to spend a further £60 or so completely refurbishing it.

The problem: compared to the other models (MAK, I think), I really struggle to get the carpet to rotate. There's nothing involving ball bearings or anything similar underneath, just a lot of grease. What's missing? Is there an inexpensive solution I can use to make the carpet spin with ease?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Lazy susan, hardware store version.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Do make sure it's made of metal and get the largest diameter possible. If your lazy susan is too samll and your assistant is at all off-center the top board will not rotate smoothly.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Thanks to both of you. Have just checked those out on eBay.co.uk. What diameter would you recommend?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
I recommend a minimum of 12" interior diameter (I'm an American, you'll have to do your own metric conversion;))

One we've used is pictured at this link. Note what they say about recessing-
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?sku=2273&cs=1

This link has some interesting ideas. Forget the pipe for a pedestal and you're pretty much there-
http://www.edb.utexas.edu/teachnet/qtvr/Turntable2.html

Once you're ready to mount the mechanism, pack the bearings with a very lightweight grease to prevent noise during rotation.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
An Aust. Illusion co build for me a set with NO rotation.....in my PERSONAL & the Aust. illusionist view... rotation when the child is sitting on it will give away the secret.

Make a search on this topic....this has been discussed lengthly about having NO rotation

Hope this helps Smile
dove-boy
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Dove-boy, I do see your point as it shows there has to be a centre fixing for it to rotate but whether this would occur to the kids I'm doubtful. My main use for this effect is in kid-only shows so I shouldn't have any problems. Plus on my version the whole carpet moves over to the side also, I'm not sure if the MAK model does this. I know the gimmick is in a different place and the screen has to be placed differently from the MAK version.

Thanks Dave. I have had no experience with lazy susans so your help is much appreciated. Will head over to the worldwide auction site to try and track one down. By the way, inches is good. I can't be bothered with all the metric stuff!

Thanks

Mark
Mark Daniel