The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building some boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
I would like to build a nest of boxes and was wondering if anybody knew a good source (book, website, etc.) for teaching me how to build a perfect box.

Thanks,
Tim
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Build a perfect cube.. and cut off the top to make the lid..
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Great idea make up guy! But I am kind of a novice at woodworking, and wanted something that could show me how to build a "cube".
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Are you building a small nest of boxes, or a stage illusion nest of boxes (where a person jumps out at the end?). I also have a Dollar Store Nest of Boxes on my site with three nesting cardboard cube boxes for use with my "Ring into Nest of Boxes" from The Wizards' Journal #11. While I realize you want to build your own, it wouldn't hurt to have an inexpensive life size model to work from and see how they are made.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Thanks Spellbider. I have a pretty good nest of boxes that I use on a regular basis. But I believe I have a new method for doing the trick, so I would have to build them myself. I'd like them to be made out of wood. The biggest one about the size of a file box, and the smallest maybe about 3" x 3". To be used with a watch, ring, or other small object.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, threecardmonte:

Building a box is more demanding than it appears, in that six plane surfaces must intersect at right angles to form a good product. The proficiency level escalates when variables (a moving lid, nesting forms, etc.) are added, and for this reason boxes were rarely assigned as beginning projects in the voc ed classes I attended or taught.

If you wish to proceed as described, Taunton Publishing offers several beginner's woodworking books that will cover the basics and get you started, or you may just check the stacks at your local public library -- 693.6 and following, I believe. Please bear in mind that producing a competent product will entail an investment on your part, which I hope you'll turn towards other Magic endeavours as well...an easy outcome, since woodworking is nearly as addictive as Magic!

Good luck Smile

Leland
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Some of the woodworking web sites have plans for making small boxes. You might try Googling for some of those. I tried "woodworking plans" and got a fair number.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Get a book that covers joinery, that is what you are working with in making cubes and boxes, dovetails, rabbits, etc.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."