The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Sound Dampening (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3634 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
What would be the best material to dampen sound? I have a small electronic motor that I use for a PK Effect that whirs and hums pretty loudly. I'm thinking of trying some Ace bandages, but before I run to the store, does anybody have any ideas on how to dampen the sound, or to encase the motor in something that would absorb the sound while allowing the magnetism through? By the way, I wear this on my leg.

Thanks!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
If the device is in a case, you might try lining the inside of the case with acoustic tiles. I realize you probably won't have room for that, but I think it is your best shot. The only thing I can think of that would retain sound and pass magnetic forces through is a vacuum chamber, and that would be very hard to do on a non-fixed placement machine.

This might not be too helpful, but...
Good luck.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Following the above, if you're using a case, the case may be part of your problem if it's not absolutely tight. Lining the case will definitely help absorb the waves and lessen the amplification that is being caused. Doing a fabric wrap will cut down on the sound, but not as effectively as something with more baffle to it, like acoustic tile or foam.

If there's anything on the motor that can be oiled that has not been oiled, definitely oil it. I've seen this work wonders.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3634 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks! I appreciate the ideas!