The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Protecting Electronics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Might be a silly question, but here goes. I built a home-made signaling device. Actually I modified some already built items, but anyway, I want to protect the wires and delicate electronics board from vibration and getting bumped around. If I use regular old glue from a glue gun, and pretty much apply it all over the board and wiring, would that hurt anything? Is there a better way to "seal" and protect everything? My fear is that at some point a wire might get snagged and puled away from the board, or vibration might cause a short.

Thanks!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Your hot glue application should do it. Stay away from epoxy.

Best,

Tim
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Just be VERY certain your solder connections are strong before you hot glue, and that should keep you safe.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Tim...can you say why epoxy is not good for this application? I would have used a 2-part resin solution from a craft store; the sort that you use to encase insects, flowers, etc. I would have made a mold big enough to take the electronics, and then poured in the clear mixture. Not only would it protect it, but would look cool too!

Why is this not good?

Thanks,

Mick H
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Mick,

Epoxy is too good. Want to upgrade the program in that programmable chip? NOT with it coated in epoxy! LOL You will destroy it getting the epoxy off.

Some epoxies (commercial grade) will get hot when solidifying. It expands as well, and could pluck a thin wire from a solder point. Your craft store solution would not have this problem, however.

Best,

Tim
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
Apart from not being able to repair the board afterward, the problem with encasing everything in epoxy is that some of your electronics might not be able to lose heat fast enough and burn out. Then the whole thing is useless.

A well built board should be pretty vibration resistant, and all you should need to do is mount it well, perhaps with rubber washers and make sure that any leads have strain relief. I've used hot glue to stick wires down, and that works alright. I'd put the whole thing in a decent enclosure.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 20:18, Stuart Coyle wrote:
Apart from not being able to repair the board afterward, the problem with encasing everything in epoxy is that some of your electronics might not be able to lose heat fast enough and burn out. Then the whole thing is useless.

DUH! I should have mentioned not to cover voltage regulators or anything needing to dissipate heat. Thanks for bringing that up Stuart.

Best,

Tim
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Some great advice, as I never thought about heat dissipation!

Thanks!
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Heat dissipation is very important. A friend of mine built a special tone generator device and did not want anyone to see what parts he used. He dipped in epoxy and formed a beautiful-looking cube. Only the wires that connected to the speaker and the battery were exposed. It worked a few times, and then died.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com