The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Mirror Help Please! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I built a large mirror base (5' x 5' x 14.5) to make someone disappear. Because of extensive touring, I used plexiglass mirrors. It is slightly bowed, and it ruins the whole illusion. The reflected wall is visibly distorted. I backed it with 1/4 Baltic birch, and then installed aluminum supports. These steps helped, but the problem persists. Has anyone had similar problems with plexiglass in mirror boxes? How do you solve this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Magically,
Brock Edwards
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You can't. That's a HUGE piece of mirror...

In order to get a good reflection, you need to use glass.

Protect it the same way...but with 1/2 or 3/4 ply, and you should be all set...glass is more durable than you think.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Although it will add more weight and expense, 1/4" glass will flex less than thinner sizes. That, plus makeupguy's recommendation will make a "touring" piece. True road apparatus is generally more solidly built than the counterparts used by part-timers. If you've ever seen a piece of apparatus after a couple year's worth of touring, you'll understand why. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey Brock,

Where do you live? I have seen your show twice. Obviously you operate out of my area, or at least close. I really liked your show, except for one thing.

Rock on.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
You might consider mirror-finished stainless steel to avoid breakage trouble on the road.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Thanks for the advice. I thought that it might be solved by using real glass. I should clarify that there are two panels that are 42" x 14.5". I am concerned about the weight of using 1/2" plywood to back the mirror. This prop is already outrageously heavy (it is basically a small stage with a mirror principal underneath).

I am aware of well-built props lasting longer. I have a Gaughn Origami that is 10 years old, is transported assembled without a case, but it is in great condition. I have a beautiful Owen's Phantom Cage that is 1.5 years old, but there were some things that I scratch my head and think, "Why did they do that?" (For example, cheap chair casters set into a block of wood screwed into aluminum angle, all to hold a prop that weighs 200 pounds!) I had to replace the casters within the first 3 months I owned the prop.

Cliffg7, I live in East Long Beach. I'm glad you like the show (except for that one thing?!).

Brock
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Hey Brock...
Check your email.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Baltic birch plywood has more layers and is thus a lot more rigid than conventional plywood. You could use thinner ply and save some weight.