The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Walking Away From Your Shadow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
I just ran into this new "toy" item from National Geographic at a local Target ($17).

If you have been interested in experimenting with the old classic illusion of Walking Away From Your Shadow, you might want to pick up one of these to get started.

If you get one, please let us know what you think. Enjoy.
Jim

The item's picture taken with cell phone camera:
http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/WalkingFromShadow.jpg
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've seen large versions in kids' science museums. Pretty cool.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's an important principle, used in many illusions in a "full body" version, so it's good to know about and also to know how to make a larger version of your own using luminescent paints.

The National Geographic version would be nice to use in smaller stage tricks. You could demonstrate how it works as a science thing, and then pretend to have difficulty deciding which of two volunteers to use for the next demonstration, so have them "cut for it" using a deck of cards, high card wins. The winner cuts to the ten of diamonds (for example) and so gets to have his shadow imprinted next on the board, but this time his shadow clearly shows a ten of diamonds superimposed on it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Whoa! Nice one, Spellbinder.

Now I have to go get the kit to make that happen.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Using an electronic flash will make the shadow area stronger.

The original illusion was written up in Conjuror's Magazine. I think is in the Mickey Hades reprint.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
erased_over_out
View Profile
New user
Miami / Stuttgart
4 Posts

Profile of erased_over_out
I have this thing at home..."Nickelodeon Flash Screen" It's fun to play with, but I never thought about using it in an Illusion.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Wow, I'd forgotten all about that effect. I used to go to the Science and Industry Museum in Manchester (England), and they had this experiment there. I, too, never thought of using it as an illusion. Good call, JR, and good idea, Spellbinder!

Mark
Mark Daniel
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Awww, I like the Dunninger book one where the assistants walk in and carry your shadow off!

Ahh, yes, the shadow room at the Exploratorium near the GG bridge!
I like the card appearance! Good one, Spellbinder!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I got an e-mail from someone who likes the idea of the card being superimposed over the shadow, but couldn't figure out how to make it happen. I would use my computer printer and an ink-jet transparency film to make a transparent card with pips the exact same color as the shadow board. This would be invisible when placed on top of the board, but the ink would cut down or block the light from the flash so the pips would not be part of the shadow. The transparency card could even have a monofilament loop on it to make it easy to palm on and off the board, or a piece of magnetic steel under a couple of the pips to attract it to a magnet pull.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Guys and Kay,
An interesting effect can be created by using a strobe light to expose the screen.
Jim
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Cloning, perhaps?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Where can I find out more about this?

Thanks!
Josh London
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-03-22 01:55, joshlondon17 wrote:
Where can I find out more about this?
Josh London

You have to go hoofing it, Josh! I have tried searching both the National Geographic site and the Target site for their special brands of National Geographic Toys, but can find nothing online. Then a friend walked into one of the near-by Target stores and found both the Shadow Magic item and a Radio Controlled Walking (very realistic and scary) Tarantula that he knew I would like, both on sale, and again, neither one listed on any Internet sources. (Well, I found Tarantulas, but they were in the $40 range, and this was on sale for $14!) So, you have to get up and get out there to find these items.
Professor Spellbinder

Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
The company "Argos" sold a toy to this effect a couple of years ago. It was only twenty pounds.
Magicmarkdaniel, I see you are from Bolton. Do you know "The Hangin' Inn" pub? It goes back to 1166; one of the oldest public houses in England. If so, do you know if there is a rumor about one of the walls "changing and showing a scene from another time"? It happened about fifteen years ago...heee heee.