The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: What is this trick? Is it public domain? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I got this trick 31 years ago...It was part of a magic set I got for my 6th birthday.
A bottle or vase, and a rope. You put the rope in the bottle, turn the bottle upside down, and presto- the rope is held in the bottle, yet when you hand it to someone else, they can't make it work.
What is the name of this trick? Is the method currently "owned" by anyone or is it public?
I have some ideas for redesigning the effect, and don't want to step on any toes.
Thanks!
Gwyd
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This has been marketed by a number of companies, including The Chinese Bottle (Adams'Magic), Prayer Vase (Royal Magic), and many others. It is a common item in almost all slum magic kits, although a few nicer versions have been produced in recent years, mostly in brass.

There was also one included with the Universal's Scarlet Horseman Magic Set, produced by the Magic City Toy Company that was here in Birmingham. These appeared to be made of medicine bottles (hip flask style). This company also made the John Calvert Magic Set, although the bottle was not part of that set.

I have a small collection of Chinese Bottles/Prayer Vases including 3 different early glass versions sold by Adams'. I also keep an eye out for tiny bud vases that work for these, and have run across some very nice oriental design vases.

Although I have not bought one, WalMart sells a brand of vinegar that comes in a glass bottle that would be ideal for this trick. It has the classic round bulbous body with a long narrow neck.

Greater Magic has a nice section on this trick, with a few variations of method.

I would assume this to be in the public domain, although the particular name attached to the trick may be owned by the companies that currently sell them.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I once saw a version of this with tubes instead of bottles. The rope went right through the tube and wouldn't fall down the rope. It seemed a little more magical than a bottle for some reason.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Cool...
Thanks much guys!
I'm going to have some fun with this...
Gwyd
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
Xi'an, China & London, England
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
There's an interesting take on it in the March edition of IBM's Linking Ring magazine. I've tried that method out with some beer bottles during a drunken get together and the reactions were pretty strong. Although clearing up broken bottles after they tried to do it wasn't a good end to the night...
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Then again, there are the new plastic beer bottles!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Smile

I could see doing this with a small Florence or Erlenmeyer flask (those bottle things we used in chemistry class). The inside can be coated with "residue" from an experiment...

You take it from here.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Actually what I have in mind is more in the direction of my Scent of Darkness bottle ( http://www.grindshow.com/grindshow/gwyd.html ).
I want to use it for walkaround at Ren Fests and such. Won't be nearly as ugly as the scent bottle though, more of a dragon or snake or little fairy eating imp. The bottle itself will be completely covered.
I'm hoping to get to work on it this weekend.
I'll let y'all know how it turns out!
Gwyd